Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

I Wish I'd Framed That.

Post by vintage frames »

I found this whilst browsing a familiar galleries' intagram feed.

Fullscreen capture 03092022 13804 PM.bmp.jpg

Ok, so it's just a framed photo.
But what struck me was how well configured the overall picture is.
The mount is generous around the image. It doesn't try to mask the photo but manages to present the image in a quiet and unfussy manner.

The frame is then distanced from the image so as to just encapsulate the photograph without visually imprisoning it.

Whilst it's difficult to make out but I imagine the frame is ebonised oak and is of such weight as to delineate the picture without competing with any of its own importance.

This, to me is a superb example of well-designed and simple picture framing.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: I Wish I'd Framed That.

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, I agree! Ebonised Simons Oak/7, or ebonised M0092C are really popular in my shop. So easy to sell. Oh, BTW ebonised Rose and Hollis A10 pine is also nice as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

I also agree. The framers job is to present the art in the best possible way and to enhance it, not to compete with it. The evidence of a good job is when, as you suggest, the viewer sees the artwork and admires it for what it is. The frame in some ways is always secondary. Having said that this artwork without effective framing is pretty mundane.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Really nice narrow black mouldings used to be much easier to find at one time, but too many seem to be all about cheapness these days. Really nice quality narrow black frames can often look really special these days. There has long been a tradition of framing photography in nice quality narrow black frames, but where do you get the really nice narrow black mouldings from the days? Most of the nice stuff is long gone these days!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I agree about the generous mount. The proportions look great, spot on and for once I really like the bottom weighting.
Unfortunately I think that I give customers too much say in the final mount dimensions, often to the detriment of the finished piece. My retail customers tend to be shy about it, whereas my artists often appreciate the importance of space around the work and the increased saleability of the piece.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

I agree completely, narrow black frames need generous mounts to look right and the weighted bottom margins look best with generous proportions as well. Botton weighting really skinny mounts just looks silly! I also like smooth faced mountboard for mounts in classic looking frames.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames

Post by vintage frames »

That's interesting you saying that, Justin. I know you're at the coal face when dealing with customers.

The customers I get either say - this is how it will be done or do it whatever way you think it should be done.

That's why when I noticed this frame, I thought I'd keep it as a useful reference.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

It's nice enough and I appreciate a nice wide mount (although I prefer if the bottom isn't weighted) but I would choose a wider frame.

I think that look with a really wide mount but a really narrow frame is quite old fashioned.

I also give customers free reign when it comes to choosing frames and mounts but I do tell them when I prefer something and most of the time they go with my recommendation.

I guess this shows there are no absolutes in framing.
Not your average framer

That's interesting! I get quite a reasonable number of customers who like the traditional look of narrower black frames with wider moults. Narrow ebonised oak frames can be quite popular around here, it's something of an Arts and Crafts movement thing. Skinny Oak mouldings also represent pretty good quality and good value for money to the customer, for something which has good long term durability. I also stock a fairly inexensive wider, but only 12mm deep flat moulding, which is useful for producing nicely hidden sub frames when usng such thin moulding on larger frames.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Pramsay, that's really interesting that you see it as old fashioned. Do you work with artists much? Ime printmakers photographers still often prefer a minimal frame for gallery display. They are probably also aware that skinny is cheaper...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

Skinny is not always cheaper. A lot of the cheaper narrow black frames come from the far east and have black finishes which don't always cut cleanly on a Morso, meaning that you often get chipped corners on the mitres. I am very particular how my narrow black factory finished mouldings look, so I am careful to not buy the cheap ones made in to far east. Narrow mouldings with chipped mitred cuts are not necessarily very quick and easy to touch up, so that you can't see where the touching up has been done.

I also don't like skinny mouldings with inadequate rebate depths and far to many narrow black mouldings are greatly lacking in rebate depth. I really like ebonised skinny black mouldings, particularly as they are something special to offer to my more discerning customers. In spite of the current financial climate, there are still some customers left who will pay a little extra for something which looks as nice as ebonised oak. It's never a difficult thing persuading customers to buy ebonised oak frames. I just show the the choices and let them choose, it's as easy as that!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames

Post by vintage frames »

This image was taken from an exhibition of photographs featuring decaying leaves by the photographer Norman McBeath in collaboration with the artist Edmund de Waal. He's the guy that does all those tiny white porcelain pots on shelves.

There's no way on earth that the framers or gallery would have used a cheap off the shelf factory made moulding
Mark, please stop repeatedly talking about cheap mouldings on this topic.