Dark Red Frame/matte for Charcoal Drawing??

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Ron56

Dark Red Frame/matte for Charcoal Drawing??

Post by Ron56 »

Just looking for some opinions...Do you think a dark red frame/matte would work well with a charcoal piece on paper which is about the tone/color of vanilla ice cream or does the old academia axiom of "black frames for black media" still apply unconditionally?
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Sounds OK to me, especially as the paper is cream. Keeping the frame and the mount the same colour means you are not introducing lots of new colours to the piece and the focus should still be the artwork. My rule of thumb is if it feels good, do it. Works for framing too. :wink:
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

There are few “unconditional” axioms anymore, but red on charcoal media wouldn’t be my first choice.

I tend to be fairly conservative and would probably suggest gray/black mat and a fairly subdued silver/black frame. Not too much excitement for me anymore.

Call me an old fogy … go ahead, I dare ya! … anyone?
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Hi Ron

Red and black always go together, as long as the red is not in your face. Sometimes this can add an extra dimension to the piece.

We do a lot of solid black matts with black frames, wood and aluminium. Glossy black aluminium,especially, looks simple but smart on charcoal drawings and also B/W photos.

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sometimes an extreme statement in a frame can be very effective. The pale mat/ blacky frame is the safe option. This combination will fit in anywhere. But if it is to be hung in a room with a lot of other 'bling' to compete with......

How about making the mat really strong red (blackcore?), but step it back from the artwork with a light neutral undermount. Make the frame a darker tone than the mat. Maybe a sort of oriental laquered effect. possibly with a black edge.....

Just an idea. :wink:

Of course it's a bit difficult to judge without seeing the drawing. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

If you invest in Pre-View visualisation software the you can see the finished article and more importantly so can the customer.

We use it on nearly every sale and customers always walk away happy. It gives a good opportunity to sell up to a larger mount, bigger moulding, double mount vs. single and it shows the black bevel created by using a black core.

Download the demo if you need convincing... and no I do not have an interest ... just a happy user.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Some people like a colour such as red on black & white, however I don't. I like to keep the colurs of the mats and frame in harmony with the colours in the art!

IMHO a colour with a black and white picture takes attention away from the picture to some extent and that's not what appeals to me!
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

colour with a black and white picture takes attention away from the picture to some extent
I agree with Ormond. I also think a strong colour like red will only serve to enhance the yellowness of the cream ground on which the drawing is done. Possibly dark red as small strip of second mount and top mount neutral to work with the paper with something reddish in the frame
Alan
markw

Post by markw »

You are asking the wrong people. (I am assuming that this is being done for a customer). Whilst I would tend to take the greys, silver black route - I would always work with the customer to achieve the result they want. I work with a few interior designers who ask for finishes that I would never have thought of - have to say that sometimes I think the results hideous - often inspired. If framing charcoal for myself - my taste would be black frame - double black core black mount - clearcolour plus glass.