PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Keeping on top of things ...

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
I've been picture framing for the last 15 years, always as a side-line, I am about to setup a business and have to think about 'grown up' things like stock control, pricing etc.,

I'm going to be working from my workshop at home and know I have to keep on top of my order book. For a start I don't actually have an "order book" :( when jobs come in I put them in the drawers with some details on a scrap of paper. This has worked up to now but once more work starts coming in I can see myself losing track of what's in progress, what's outstanding etc.,

Has anyone got a simple, no nonsense method of keeping on top of jobs ? even if it involves Post-it notes stuck to a notice board ? :wink:

Thanks in advance.
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
prospero

Re: Keeping on top of things ...

Post by prospero »

I must admit that I am/have been guilty of the bits of paper system. Problem is, you tend to scribble stuff down in a sort of framers shorthand with thumbnail sketches. It all seems very clear when you do it, but when you come to do the job a few days later it has all turned to gobbledygook. Lately I have taken to writing everything down in a BIG RED BOOK. At least I can find it.....
A more professional way, without involving computers, etc is to get a triplicate order book. Fill in the details clearly with customer name and contact details. Give the customer one copy and put another copy with the job. Get some sticky labels with your name on to fix to the customer copy. Simple, cheap and efficient. Remember to add a completion date so you know when you promised to have the job done by.

One day I will take my own advice. :oops:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Get estlite. Get it to print the order sheets twice (or thrice if you prefer) Give one to the customer, put the other with the artwork. If you want to do a queue system, have the third print for that. Simple!
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Estlite plus a book seems to work well for us. mainly because "at a glance" you can literally see how full the order book is, busy or quiet days at the counter etc.
estlite to print the dockets and customer receipts, the book (for us) because having an order book should be just that, not some etherial thing on a hard drive.
Plus you can't close the books when you are busy if you haven't got a book to close ;)

(and its a lark to keep filling them up and looking back on them with nostalgia after a few years (and with horror at the prices, mouldings etc that you used to do!)A physical order book has so many other uses - waving at the bank manager, brandishing at staff to show why they can't have a rise, and at the end of the day one day you are going to retire and it'll be nice to have some sort of physical record of your adventure in framing.

Or, if you feel like I do about it some days, something to throw on the fire symbollicly in a fit of pique and say "I've done with it!" ;)
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

There is a lot to be said for a POS computer, but if you’re small and cannot justify one in your workshop yet, a custom work order/receipt form may keep you going. For several reasons, we have chosen not have a second computer. (We like the flexibility of our rather bizarre pricing scheme, don’t want our POS counter to look like a fast food joint, and believe that our customers are looking for “old world” craftsmanship rather than an impersonal, high-tech electronics store). Another computer in the shop may be in the future, but not now.

We use this form. Sorry, but it is too large to show as an image in this forum.

Ours is in three parts. The last one is a light cardboard stock with a perforation so that the "claim check" (just from Custom Fee and below) can be given to the customer as a reminder when he/she drops the art off.

When the work is complete, the second yellow sheet (identical to this one shown) is given for a receipt.

We keep the top sheet on file with the five digit number also placed on the dust cover for reference.

The “X”s are for top, side, and bottom mat dimensions. Our newer, up to date form has "Museum" rather than "ImagePerfect" in the glazing section, and a few other minor changes. Our web site has been added under the logo.

We have probably not had more than a half dozen customers sign the form, however. To me it implies distrust. No problems.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine