PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Nasty scratchy mat black moulding ....

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
I spent the weekend working on three Chelsea shirts ( thanks for the advice about stretching them ), I used a mat black moulding with a decent rebate on it ( MATT/8 from Simons ), it looked fine while I was putting it together . :) When I lifted it up to the light to admire it all I could see was scratches and a chip mark on one of the corners :cry: Does anyone have any tips for "touching up" mat black moulding ? I'd be interested to know of any other moulding that you use for football shirts i.e. deep rebate moulding.

Thanks in advance.
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Nasty scratchy mat black moulding ....

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Go and get one of those instant shoe shine things. The sort that has a sponge applicator and a tub of waxy black substance. Apply and buff off.

Does not work on all mouldings so try on a peice of scrap first. You might also have to go over the whole of the frame as it does produce a bit of a shine so it needs evening out. (as in achieving an even finish not going out for a few pints and a bag of pork scratchings).

John.
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

I have revitalized matt blacks that are scratched from being in a bin with other scraps with a cloth and some polywax sealer. Once dry it is not quite as matt .Again, try it on a sample first
Alan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bagpuss wrote: I'd be interested to know of any other moulding that you use for football shirts i.e. deep rebate moulding.
Simons do a nice range of brushed silver/gold/copper mouldings - two profiles are nice and deep - can't remember the references though!

The Larson Juhl 'Ferrosa' range also has a couple of useful profiles. But if you mitre certain mouldings on their side and then cap them, you can fill your boots!

Just select well, otherwise you can have mayor problems with tatty back edges - they were not supposed to be cut this way - so a gessoed moulding, or a very soft wood, may not be ideal.

Here's what I'm on about
markw

Post by markw »

To fill matt black chips and scratches I use black wax, the Liberon patinating wax is good - but a tin of black shoe polish will suffice. If you get a shiny surface on matt black - rubbing with a methylated spirit soaked cotton wool swab will take the shine off.