Best Frames for a Novice to Work With

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
swanlinnet

Best Frames for a Novice to Work With

Post by swanlinnet »

Hi

What would be the best frames (mouldings) and mount boards to work with for a person who is just starting out ?

I have already been looking for a one day course and have spoken with a few people many of whom
all have insisted practise is the key.

I think I realise I will have to put in a lot of practise with some mouldings and mount boards that are not too difficult
to work with.

I really have no idea what mouldings and mount boards are comparitively easy to work with in contrast to
mouldings and mount boards that are reknowed for being difficult and just wondered if anybody can remember what they did when they were
first starting out ?

I will be using a Morso.

Many thanks.
prospero

Re: Best Frames for a Novice to Work With

Post by prospero »

Big question.

As far as mountboards go, they are all pretty much of a muchness when it comes to cutting. Mouldings, on the other hand vary a lot. But there are so many that I wouldn't like to even start to comment.

When I first started I remember getting a few boxes of offcuts from a framer who was moving and having a clearout. Lots of different bits to practice on.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Cathy
Organisation: Abington Framers
Interests: erm apart from framing & art, finding more power tools DIY Reading cookin & mad stuff like leather armour making & taking part in historical & other battle re-enactments etc

Post by Cathy »

Try flat or cusion one's first, they go together easiest, the rest is just practice & patience :D
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

See if you can buy up a mixture of mouldings from someone closing down or retireing - I've seen a few ads on ebay. Infact, I think you are in Lancashire, I have the phone number of someone who had 650 ft of assorted moulding for sale (as well as a Morso and an Euro Underpinner) - he is based in Lancs - if you want his number PM me.

Otherwise see if there is a framer near you who would be happy to sell you a mixed bundle of offcuts or slow moving clutter . . . . (if you were happy to travel to Derby, I would be delighted to oblige)

You really do need to try all different types - the good and the bad.

Best of luck, and remember, if it was THAT easy it wouldn't be worth doing!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Swanlinnet. If you want to venture across the Penines, you are welcome to have a rumage in my shed. I have literally 10000's of feet of assorted moulding. Mostly smaller profiles...... You can take a carload with my compliments. OK, a lot of it is old and long discontinued, but it's all good stuff to practice on.

That offer goes for any other starter-uppers. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
swanlinnet

Post by swanlinnet »

Prospero , Thank you so much for your help. I will ceratinly remember your kind offer. And thanks to everyone here. So grateful to you all.
It's a pity I can't put more back into the forum, so to speak. Hopefully I will soon.

There is a great peice of software I hope nobody has heard of here so I can at least be the first to
recommend it :D

It's called Genuine Fractals ...really good for photography. Very useful
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

hey be aware geuine fractals works for some things

but sometimes clever scaling in photoshop or qimage gives better results
Lumpy
Organisation: http://LibertyPictureFrames.com/
Interests: Picture Framing, photography, rustic wood picture frames, oak picture frames, pine picture frameslife, liberty, freedom.
I love life! :JC:

Post by Lumpy »

I sure keep being grateful every time I see one of these posts. I'm new to the wood picture frames business and I really enjoy you all. thanks for all your help to each other. This is a wonderful place. :clap:
Lumpy
:JC: Peaceful Liberty Loving Oak and Pine Picture Frames Guy
http://www.LibertyPictureFrames.com
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Swanlinnet,
If I remember, I always found most reverse profiles (higher nearer the image) difficult to join when I first started, this was using a morso and minigraf 3, it was fine getting a good sized wedge on the inside but I always struggled to get a wedge further out without the back edge opening up a little.

I think as people have said already, start of with the smaller, simpler shaped profiles and then work up to the wider more complex shaped mouldings. Practice makes perfect.
good luck
Richard
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

go for something like this arqadia moulding 424495000
424_495_000.jpg
424_495_000.jpg (4.67 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
really nice to cut easy to join consistent quality and reasonable price ie its cheap as far as mouldings go.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

or you could even try the Simons 0300 range. Very similar in profile. A lot cheaper though.
John GCF
swanlinnet

Post by swanlinnet »

Thanks for this . It's good to know the best, most-simple moulding for me at this stage.

Thanks Stephen, will be aware of Genuine Fractals.