Made First Frame Today

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
swanlinnet

Made First Frame Today

Post by swanlinnet »

Greetings

I made my first frame today with a Morso, Casse Underpinner and Keencut Mount Cutter.

I can only say thank you all here for you encouragement along the way to this tiny milestone.

I was, honestly, astonished at how the Morso can slice through those frames and leave a smooth cut. The Morso
really is, in my opinion, the Rolex of the framing world. I really couldn't beleive also how it (The Morso) can perform a
fine cut on one edge. For example. When I measured the moulding I had cut on the Morso against
the mountboard I had already cut on the Keencut, the moulding was very, very, slightly oversized. It (The moulding) must have only been
a couple of millimetres too long and I was not aware until today that I could return to the Morso and prune the edge like a wood plain.

I have noticed that on the bed of the Morso near the blades there are two gaps about 1cm wide that retract when the Morso is cutting
which could trap your fingers. I was very aware of these gaps since I do play the piano a lot :D :D

I am apprenhensive though about 'calibrating' the Keecut so that it it cuts windows in the mountboards correctly. I beleive after today there is a way of adjusting the cutting
blades on the Keencut. But this is something I have not done ...nor am I confident to do it ... but still think it's a neccessary thing I need to learn. Any help here would be really appreciated.

But, all told, I am really grateful to everybody here who have given me their knowledge and encouragement.

My plan is to stick to Mouldings I know because, among other things, one of the cornes I 'underpinned' I pressed too hard on the footpedal
of the underpinner machine causing it to leave a very, very, slight indentation on the corner. Hope I can overcome this .

I do intend to practise, practise, practise and read this forum.

I also heard MDF is bad for the bronchal tubes, that is, it can clog the lungs up. ? Now I don't even know what MDF is but, even so, this news stuck in my mind
after hearing it said today.

At the moment I am still researching the printer which I am getting . And I am still having to do loads and loads of reading up on stuff such as colour management
and monitor calibratio.. But all of this activity is good since I really am enjoying it especially after seeing it bear fruit today.

Before today there was lots and lots of doubts in my mind ...and there still are quite a few 'grey areas' I do not understand about framing. But thanks to the people on this forum
and a tiny bit of effort and determination today I have managed at least to make something that looks like a picture frame . :D

Thanks all.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: Made First Frame Today

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Well-done on your first frame!

Just a thought on your KeenCut - it might well be perfectly calibrated already. You can check by taking a perfectly square piece of mountboard - say 30cm x 30cm. Check it is true by measuring the two diagonals and making sure they are the same.

Now measure and draw in pencil a line 5cm from, and parallel to each side on the back of the mount.

Now set your side, top, and bottom stops at 5cm, and cut your mount.

If you are properly calibrated, you will have cut in the same place as the lines, there will be some overcuts on the corners when viewed from the back, but the corners will be perfect (no X) on the front of the mount.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Glad you are getting on OK. :D

One thing in your post that flagged up....

About cutting the moulding very slightly oversize. Don't cut it too tight around the mount. A bit of elbow room is desirable. Generally the glass/mount/back should be the same size and the frame about 2/3mm bigger around the rebate. Cardboard will expand in a humid atmosphere. If it has nowhere to expand to, it will go wavy. Also if the glass is tight in the frame, any knocks will transfer though and the risk of cracking is increased.

MDF bad for the bronchs? No. MDF dust? Yes. But unless you are cutting it with a saw, you shouldn't be getting a lot of dust.
There was a report published a few years ago concerning health issues if breathing MDF dust. It continues to put the wind up a lot of folks. But this was aimed more at people who are sawing up great chunks of the stuff all day every day. Any dust is not good if you breathe enough over extended periods.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

congrats on first frame - its all downhill now - and you will learn along the way! like that first width of the pool!

DUST do we hate the stuff - the worst thing in a frame shop like a computer room is a vacuum cleaner!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr hate em. All they do is suck one end and blow and i mean blow dust into the air to settle where you dont want it too!

how do you guys deal with dust?
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Congrats and well done...

I made my first frame in April also....back in 1994...
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

oh dermot you are such a spring chicken!! what did you do before that is what we all want to know??
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Congratulations! No going back now!

The next trick is how to make a living from it. That's a steeper and more difficult learning curve, but as you go on you will identify the questions to ask and may even work out some of the answers for yourself. If not you know where to ask!

One of the great things about this forum is that different members have discovered different ways of doing things, so there's always something new to discover.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Most of my early career was selling science, laboratory and safety equipment and supplies for the cleamroom industry, pharmaceutical, medical devices, food industries, education sector, medical sector in fact any place there was a laboratory or chemical safety requirement in Ireland, I then had about 8 years in the FMCG sector as the field operations manager for a below line marketing company until it was bought out…

Retired from business early, however got bored and set up my own business …….which has had mixed but modest success to date…….
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

All they do is suck one end and blow and i mean blow dust into the air
vaccuum cleaner which has water in the bowl/base - blows out absolutely clean and dust free air (we have had a Rainbow machine for 19 yrs now and still works a charm
Alan
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Good one Swanlinnet, Its a big milestone!
Wish I had the internet and this forum when I first started!

I remember my first proper framing job, it was for the gallery I worked for, I think I still have it somewhere. It was a small print called 'Old English Cottages' by B.W. Leader, I think it came from Rosentiel's. I remember the mount, frame, and everything! Baghdad brown inner, off white outer mount, in gold frame 0106/brown - all from Simons.
The print was not dry mounted but just stuck to the mount with a long strip of double sided tape - well sorry, we didn't know any better then! :oops:
I can remember wondering if I would ever get the chance to frame an original Leader.... Ah well, maybe thats wishful thinking! :D

It can all be a bit daunting, there is so much to learn, but keep at it and the forum will do its best to help answer your questions.

Mikey, these Microclene workshop filters are really good, the one I have (MC1000) it is a bit noisey, but really helps clean the air. Its still dusty because I use a saw and do lots of sanding, but if you don't then this filter could really help:

http://www.acrolltd.co.uk/
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

hi framemaker - thanks for the microclene ref - must admit its a new one on me and will look into it! no don't use a saw but do have occasion to sand.