Glass question

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ShaggyDog
Organisation: FrameDog
Interests: Music, photography, where the cat is going to sleep next.

Glass question

Post by ShaggyDog »

Hello all, I knew that I'd have questions again! I've been working quietly at framing for a few months now, not getting busy yet but learning learning learning. In this time I have cut some glass, offcuts going into a bin. What do you all do with your waste glass? My bin is getting fuller and before too much longer I'm going to have to empty it....
ShaggyDog

Re: Glass question

Post by ShaggyDog »

I didn't mention that I'm working from home, but I don't think it would be a popular move to put the waste glass into the household rubbish
Custard
Organisation: Private
Interests: Photography

Post by Custard »

If you ask at your local tip they may have a special location for glass, alternatively you could line a cardboard box with a thick layer of newspaper, empty all the glass fragments into it, tape up the box and dump along with other household waste.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Depends how much waste glass you get. I find handy containers are Washing Powder boxes. They are solid card and very tough. When full just tape them up. Makes them safe and easy to handle. What you do with them after that I won't say..... :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Smash it up in a cement mixer.....it makes great hard core filling...

:wink: :roll:
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

i dont have mega amounts of offcuts - but what i do is

3 litre wine box (empty) tape over the bit at the bottom where the spout comes out - all off cuts i put in the box cutting to fit in where nec. when full fold top back and tape securely (brown parcel tape) write glass all over it . stack up to three/four then take to local tip - they then (so they say) open the boxs and put it with other mixed/broken glass for crushing ! think it make road surfaces or something.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
ShaggyDog

Post by ShaggyDog »

Thanks all, cardboard boxes seem to be the answer.
markw

Post by markw »

Be careful - illegally dumping commercial waste carries fairly high penalties.. The ridiculous illogical way that small business waste is treated - My waste disposal providers frequently send me advice on recycling. When I ask them for a solution for the recyclable waste my business creates, they tell me that I don't produce enough to make it worth recycling. So the only real solution if you want to recycle is through local recycling centres - and that's illegal.

I send approx 2 large domestic size wheelie bins to landfill every week - it costs me nearly £1000 a year for the privilege - and increasingly complicated and threatening paperwork ( the list of what I cant dump is growing - cant dump aerosols or paint pots).
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I take my glass to a local recycling centre and am completely upfront with them in that it comes from a business and what it is. They seem happy to accept it and I am happy to get rid of it.

Cardboard from packaging and mountboard goes the same way.

All my wood offcuts go to the local baker as he has a wood burning oven.

The only general waste I create is teabags and non recycleable packing, may be a bin bag every fortnight.
markw

Post by markw »

I had a long conversation once about why i couldnt recycle picture framing glass - lead and impurities came into the conversation but i cant say that it really made sense. The answer seems to be that "commercial" glass can only be recycled by crushing and using as an aggregate.

I had a clear out of usable sized offcuts - one day they would have been used for readymades. nearly filled the wheeliebin. The poor old waste disposal lorry nearly tipped backwards the thing was so heavy. the wheels are now a little splayed.

I would be cautious about burning offcuts in any burner that might be used for cooking food. I burn mine in a woodburner at home - some finishes can burn with fairly unpleasant fumes.
Cathy
Organisation: Abington Framers
Interests: erm apart from framing & art, finding more power tools DIY Reading cookin & mad stuff like leather armour making & taking part in historical & other battle re-enactments etc

Post by Cathy »

It all depend's on the size of offcut, some of the larger bit's are used by local art student's or myself for iether painting on or slumpwork
broken glass removed from thing's brought in for repair goes into a bucket out doors & smashed then another bucket over the top, my partner takes it with him for disposal to building site recycling skip. waste card goes to local school, chipping's go into my small forge or BBQ as kindling & to a freind with a wood burning stove dependant on wood type. another thing people have difficulty with disposal is used knife blade's, I bought a small plastic recycling tub thing with a press down safety lid from a local builder's merchant's fro about £4, when full (about 18 month's) they dispose of it for me
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

Glass in small enough pieces gets dropped in an old dustbin, tapped gently with the business end of a felling axe, then boxed (Yup, wine boxes here too :D ) and goes out with normal council waste. Morso Chips and the very smallest bits of mountboard go out to the veggie garden to get burned in a brazier during cold weather (Stored in old dustbins). Larger bits of mountboard (say up to A5 in size) get used as notepads in the workshop, and when there's no scribbling room left on 'em they go to the burner too. Anything that'll compost goes on one of the large compost piles. We have three large ones used annually in rotation. Everything else gets shredded, bagged and goes to the tip with our other recycling, cans, bottles, cardboard, paper, recyclable plastic packaging. Cooked food waste and non recyclable packaging is about all that goes in the wheelie bin these days.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
ShaggyDog

Post by ShaggyDog »

I broke the glass into smallish pieces, put them in a cardboard box that was lined with newspaper and took it to the tip. "Where do I put glass?" I asked the chap sitting by the gate. "General waste" came back the reply - no enquiries as to amount, whether it was home or business, nothing about recycling. At least when it's broken down it doesn't take up too much space...
markw

Post by markw »

I bet somewhere there will be a big sign saying no commercial waste. Lurking near the sign there will be some jobsworth who will make it his business to catch the commercial dumper - They pounce upon vans in our local tip - keep the amount small and they wont notice - do it frequently and they probably will. I would have to drink an awful lot of wine to utilise "the wine box dumping method" will give it a go :drunk:
tosker
Organisation: D.C. Finearts & Framing
Interests: football Tottenham, iknow no comments please

Post by tosker »

Hi
I cut my scrap up into small strips then i put it in buckets and take it to the glass re-cycling bin
Dave
prospero

Post by prospero »

I once enquired if I could put all my glass scrap in a bottle bank. Apparently not...... :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Do Glass and Mirror still offer the recycling service http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

For Ireland Rehab can offer the service of recycling picture frame glass http://www.glassco.ie/
the glassman

Post by the glassman »

Hi ... Glass & Mirror (now Wessex Glass & Mirror Group) do still offer a waste glass recycling service (to regular customers only). In order to comply with the waste regulations, you do need to register and pay a small fee. Contact them for details ... sales@glass-mirror.co.uk
The Glassman
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

It is trade waste. It needs to be disposed of by a licensed trade waste disposal company.
I pay over £2000 A YEAR for waste transfer, as a business. It really p*sses me off to see people brag about dumping it (trade waste) in recycling or pretend it's domestic waste. Its pathetic.

You want legitimate law abiding businesses to subsidise you? for how long?
Public forum...... well, if I get a knock at the door, I've got a waste transfer agreement, valid and current to show them. Have you?