End of Business

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Twin Peaks
Organisation: Home sweet home
Interests: Music (Hendrix, Zep, Blues - you get the idea), Pre-Raph Art, Photography

End of Business

Post by Twin Peaks »

Despite best efforts, I have finally had to get myself a regular job. Since last year framing jobs have been few and far between and bills have to be paid. So regrettably I have had to call a halt to Twin Peaks Framing Service. I just wanted to sign off and thank all those who have provided me with guidance and advice to queries on this excellent forum. It certainly made the world of framing less of a lonely place when you can call upon fellow framers not only here but around the world.
So good luck everyone for the future. I will take a look at discussions periodically to see how things are going.
Ian, Twin Peaks Framing Service, Pontesbury, Shropshire, UK
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Re: End of Business

Post by realhotglass »

Sorry to hear this Ian.

Consider keeping your equipment at home, maybe you have room to set it up in a basic way, do a few jobs for your best clients every now and then, and restart again full on one day ?

I have been in a similar situation in past years, and although a job and part time biz can be a bit of a balancing act, you can hopefully have an opprotunity turn it around again sometime, maybe even keep it going as an interest in retirement (though I'm not sure how old you are).

Whatever you decide, best wishes and keep in touch with the forum here, after all once framing is in the blood . . .
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

ditto RHG above - best of luck to you. Do try to keep the kit if you can (second string and all that).

mikey
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sorry to hear that, I admire anybody that has a go at running their own business. It's tough and very often a big risk. At the end of the day you can be satisfied that you had a go, most people dream, but few are brave enough to make the leap.

Best of luck for the future.
FrameArt

Post by FrameArt »

Sorry to hear that, I'm not too far from you, (Knighton) and as you say there is not much work about. try and hang on to your kit and pick up any job you can, and hope you may get another chance one day.
All the very best and good luck.
FrameArt
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Ian,

It is always a shock to hear or read that one of our number on this forum, or someone local to me is facing the same situation as yourself and therefore it takes time to let things sink in before replying. None of us can assume that we will not face the same situation, (although we hope otherwise), so these things are very real to us all.

No matter what abilities we have, or how hard we try, some things are beyond our ability to overcome or change to our advantage. That does not mean the we are some how less than, or inferior to others, but if the circumstances were different we would have been successful and been respected for our success.

I hope you will be able to see you current situation in a more positive light as time goes on. Many of us are more successful at our second attempt at some thing, so don't let this deter you from future successes. I have faced previous business failures and know only too well how it feels, but you have gained both knowledge and experience and if you wish to return to framing and are able to retain your equipment, then in an economically more favourable business environment, I trust that your abilities, knowledge and experience will stand you in good stead.

My I wish you well as you seek other employment at this time and express the hope that things will again turn to your advantage.
With best wishes,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Its not just UK where framers are in decilne.

Got this from Kris Casier in Belgium.....

It's summertime, so I have some time to clean my office. Each year I find a new corner of "untouched" treasures. This year I found a copy of the "Yellow Pages" - from 1995.
In the framing section of the region of Gent, there were 95 framers. Today 42 of them are still in business… :o That's 44%.... :(

So by the time I retire, I guess there will be 2 or 3 framers/customers left ???
:Slap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
philipsheldon
Organisation: Ashworth & Thompson Ltd
Interests: JUDO / NFFC / CRICKET / REAL ALE ...oh, and Life in general.

Post by philipsheldon »

Good luck Ian.

It was nice to have met you, the day that you came in to Ashowrths at Nottingham for advise & a swift pint at lunch time !

Keep your equipment, 'cos you never know.

Best regards,

Phil.
There's nothing I can do if it don't get through, blame it on the Pony Express !
There's nothing I can say if it's gone a stray, blame it on the Pony Express !