Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Nigel55uk
Organisation: Phatfotos
Interests: Photography,cabinet making, picture framing

What wood to make frames from scratch

Post by Nigel55uk »

I cannot find an appropriate "L shape" canvas/tray frame profile to make a frame for a series of canvases - which means starting from scratch with a square piece of lumber, rebating it, staining and finishing it.

What wood would be recommended that is easily available?
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: What wood to make frames from scratch

Post by JFeig »

There are many "Floater Frames" available from various manufacturers. Recheck you searching with that title and you might be more successful in your search.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Welcome to the forum Nigel,

I would have thought tulip/poplar would be a good timber to use. You could try Mark at Piaf 2 Mouldings 01394 450022 if you want some made up.
markw

Post by markw »

Depends what sort of finish you want - if you are looking for a painted finish - then almost any softwood would do - If on the other hand you want a bare wood finish then Oak - Ash or Tulip are good. My preference for finishing would be ash - it stains well and has a nice grain. You may find for the type of frame you are writing about then the most cost efficient way of producing the profile you need is to use flat profiles glued together to make the L shape rather than routing out the shape.
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

Arqadia do more canvas Ls than are in the catalogue - so make sure you check online or ask your rep. Black, white, and dark wood are the most common I think.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You might be able to find a plain, flat moulding that suits your purpose by turning it so the rebate faces down. Then it's an easy job to put a flat piece of timber in the rebate to form the shelf. Less wasteful than machining out an L from one piece. You might even find a finished moulding you could use this way by painting the back (which would be the inside) black.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About