Plain wood ash mouldings

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Plain wood ash mouldings

Post by Not your average framer »

Recently I've been very disappointed with the quality of the ash mouldings (fit for fire-wood mostly) from my usual (U.K.) supplier. I don't intend to name and shame them, but I thought I would raise the subject and ask if this is a general problem at this time.
Cheers,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If they were that bad I'd send them back.

From time to time I am less than happy with some ash mouldings, usually the larger ones, esp flat profiles. But the problems are usually in variation of colour within the batch and even along the same length, but not in damage, warps or imperfections.

I use so much ash that I can usually overcome the problem with a dark stain and/or use them for my ready-mades. The supplier I use for most all my plainwoods does them at such a good price that I don't quibble over colour/grain problems, but I won't stand for manufacturing/handling problems at any price, from anyone.

When you have hand-finished chevrons on display you always have to explain that the finish cannot always be EXACTLY matched because of variations in grain and tone of the wood that you start with. But when the end result is absolutely nothing like your sample, it's no good.

But with ready-mades, if you make your own, a random/rustic look can be quite attractive.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Recent orders have been very heavily discoloured with lots of dark grey and even black marks in the wood, iffy machining, and spilts in places too! Normally I don't worry about the odd bit like that, but recently it's all been like it. The rep is coming to see me soon! My impression is that there's a lot of it about at the moment!
Cheers,
Mark