Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

MORSO KNEE ..

Post by Bagpuss »

I was going to put this in "After Hours" but it is Framing related and I'd like to know if anyone else suffers from this.?
Morso_knee.JPG
Morso_knee.JPG (210.09 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
The penny has only just dropped that the niggling pain on the outside of my left knee (just behind knee) which I've noticed over the last couple of months is probably caused by me using my Morso ! Does anyone else suffer a similar pain and if so, how have you got over it ?
Now thinking i may have to invest in an automatic Morso ... oh I hate getting old ... :(

cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: MORSO KNEE ..

Post by Not your average framer »

I have the same problem from time to time. There are some things which can help, such as:

1. Has your Morso been fitted with a pedal stop, so that you don't have to raise your knee further than needed to cut any particular moulding? It's not how far you have to raise your knee, as much as the fact that you are applying pressure to the knee in that position to bring the pedal down. If you have not already got a pedal stop, this could be a good time to think about getting one!

2. Keep your blades nice and sharp, especially if you are cutting harder mouldings, to reduce the pressure required to cut them.

3. If you are using a manual underpinner, this may also be contributing to the problem, so also consider issues arising from this as well. My CS-88 has been fitted with an extra shackle and a large chain link so that the pedal position is about 2" lower.

4. Try and avoid spending too much time on the Morso or underpinner in any one day.

5. Cod liver oil is great for painful joint problems.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Does your pedal stroke end in a THUMP/CLANG? If so, dampen it - get some proper footwear for a start; not trainers, nice thick, stiff soles, padded insoles and ankle support. Then fix some foam pipe cladding to the bottom of your pedal. Also make use of all the notches on the blade advance thingy to take small bites that don't require much force, that will also prolong your blade life. For all bar the most chunky hardwoods, you shouldn't have to stamp or jump on the pedal.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

You may be losing some joint space in the lateral compartment of your knee joint due to early osteoarthritis which is a degenerative joint disease. Part of getting older but affects some individuals more than others.

I would suggest you be sure to make your movements keeping your upper an lower leg in line with no rotation from the hip and by taking samller bites you will lessen the load on the joint.
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

I suffer in my arthritic hip in the left leg whilst supporting the right one doing the cutting. I have had some cartilage removed from my right knee through sporting misdemeanors and have found that keeping the knee dead straight and avoiding any rotation whilst exerting pressure helps keep it in order. ( Helps with cycling too)

Slightly off topic but i suffer with my right wrist holding the moulding in place whilst cutting. Perhaps I am reaching around too far behind the safety barriers? Anyone else suffer similar?
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
GUNNAR

Post by GUNNAR »

I was diagnosed with a ‘severe groin strain injury’ some years ago – turned out it was nothing of the sort but It became impossible to use my Morso. In the end I had to use the other leg!!
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thank you for your thoughts on this, clearly I am not alone.... I did clock the pedal stop thingy today and it was set at the very top of the movement, I am going to lower it tomorrow and see what happens.
Be careful in the Workshop people....
Cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
ceebdub
Organisation: Nr Bicester
Interests: Joinery,silversmithing,photography,motorsport

Post by ceebdub »

I was think a while back how awkward it was lifting the old knee up, (my morso is sitting on 2 3x2s so I can get the shavings out of the front) I thought this machine needs a stop , then I saw the nut sitting in the slot at the top. Dohhhh !
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've had Morso Shin. That's when your foot slips off the pedal and you get a nasty smite as it shoots back up.. :evil:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Today I got a stabbing pain just above my right knee cap, ouch ! That wasn't even my Morso knee, I did it by squatting down to get a print out of the bottom drawer of the plan chest .... oh I hate getting old .... :?
Jo
Organisation: The Frame Game
Interests: Would like to have some if I wasn't at work all the time!

Post by Jo »

No problem with my knee as yet, but using the Morso was excellent physio after breaking my ankle a couple of years ago! It was the preceding weeks with a cast and crutches that were more challenging!

I always keep the stop on my pedal quite low, and only raise if if a moulding calls for it, definitely easier to use like that.
philipsheldon
Organisation: Ashworth & Thompson Ltd
Interests: JUDO / NFFC / CRICKET / REAL ALE ...oh, and Life in general.

Post by philipsheldon »

:D Morning All,

Our very own little " Guru " :D , Kevin Shelton, who some of you will know already through the Framer's Forum events & through working for A & T for over umpteen years, has discussed this issue with many a framer.

It happens unfortunately, as careful as one is with the manual Morso F, it happens. Years of doing the same thing.

A side of using the big saws of this World, as many will already know, machinery suppliers do make electrical guillotines & these are often the saviour to those that would be unable to continue framing.

Kevin is very helpful & Knowledgeable on the Morso EH amongst others, so if anyone would like to explore the benefits of this type of product, please call us.

Happy to help !

Phil Sheldon ( 0115 ) 964 7507.
There's nothing I can do if it don't get through, blame it on the Pony Express !
There's nothing I can say if it's gone a stray, blame it on the Pony Express !
Nearlygotitright
Organisation: Bellfield basement
Interests: Hill walking, gardening, framing

Post by Nearlygotitright »

I have a knee problem - probably down to too much hill walking, but my GP referred me to a NHS physio who gave me some exercises that have made a big difference. If you are willing to stay with the exercise programme it is really worthwhile - and it's FREE.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

A cassese 939 solved the problem for me, also the bad back.

Border frames are selling one here
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

I'm not being facetious Adam, and it would be worth discussing with your GP/Physio first; but have you considered getting out on a bicycle, as regularly as you can, as a means of exercising both of your knees, in the manner that you use them professionally.
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.