The Spring Fair

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
GUNNAR

Re: The Spring Fair

Post by GUNNAR »

And here is the weather forecast for Birmingham during the Spring Fair. Temperatures are almost tropical (compared to what we've just had) - No snow and rainy showers. For those of us exhibiting the forecast is about the same for the build of the show.
:clap: :clap:
See you there
Sarah/Gunnar
Attachments
weather.JPG
weather.JPG (25.92 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Almost "sun glasses & flip flops" weather - I can hardly wait :giggle:
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

GUNNAR wrote:And here is the weather forecast for Birmingham during the Spring Fair. Temperatures are almost tropical
See you there
Sarah/Gunnar
I can't remember weather like this for years, the place will be mobbed with eager punters, see you there Sarah :clap:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
black panther

Post by black panther »

Dear All,

D&J Simons will be demonstrating its continued commitment to the Spring Fair by exhibiting a wide array of new machinery at ISF2013.
Contrary to earlier reports,we will be showcasing our biggest ever Machinery stand with our
full range of SIMONS products.
Our enlarged stand will enable us to showcase, among others,the world renown CASSESE CS969 automatic double mitre saw. The CS969 will be on display for 'hands on' demonstrations.

Just to mention some of the machines available;
Morso and Cassese mitre guillotines both electric and foot operated
New 'state of the art' underpinners from Cassese and Alfamacchine.
Hanging and hinging machine.
VALIANI mountcutters ranging from manual to computerised.
Hotpress laminating and drymounting machines.
Glass/hardboard cutting machines from Fletcher and Keencut
and many more.
Technicians from France,Italy and locally will be on hand to support us for the duration of the show.
They will be available for technical information and or queries
Loads of special offers and goodies will be available for you.
Please come to Spring Fair and we will make it worth your while.

Kind Regards
Joe Adepoju
Machinery Sales Manager
D&J SIMONS
Joe
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

I'm now thinking I might drive up on Monday to the NEC, is anyone else there on Monday ? I'll be wearing my red Hotpress Lanyard and walking with a slight limp ... ( hernia Op 2 weeks ago ) :shock:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Tuesday for me.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

We're going up for Sunday morning. Leaving home about 4.30, with a full english breakfast planned for a nice roadside cafe on the A46 about 15 minutes after turning of the M5 at junction 9. We follow the A46 to the M40 and in from there. The A46 is a ready enjoyable drive on a Sunday and we should be waiting outside the NEC for the doors to open.

We plan to leave at mid day and get back to the same cafe, before they close at 3 pm and suitably well fed, then return home via the M5. It's quite a nice journey and the cafe is a really good place to stop for food. We discovered the cafe while travelling to the FF Live event last year.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

:shock:
DCS
Organisation: Durham City Studios
Interests: Photography and Framing

Post by DCS »

We are closing early on Saturday and are booked in to the Tamworth Arms on Saturday night for B&B and will be at the NEC for doors opening on Sunday morning.

Our main area of interest will be the CMC's though a general nose about will also be in order.
For my sins I own and operate
http://www.durhamcitystudios.com
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I have just returned from the WCAF show in Las Vegas - the worlds biggest frame show with 100 seminars in addition to the exhibitors. It was buzzing :clap: Here is what one framer has just written on their forum.
I know Yanks are a bit louder than us - but read this and get the feel for the USA show :!:

================================================================
the expo was mind blowing ....... so much stuff to take in. I started an account with bella and I will soon have all the whole prismas line. I got to meet the guys from Direct Moulding who said they had already heard I was in town..... Rich is a great guy!
I loved seeing how much art there was at the show too. Different stuff and the same Chinese oil paintings. But a few new companies I grabbed catalogs for!!
I'm kinda in love with the gunnar mat cutters........ might just be Jared tho......
THE LJ booth was very impressive! As well as the Roma booth that was rockin'!!!!!
OMG!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait until the new crescent lines come out!!!!! Amazing amazing stufff!!!!!!

As far as the classes go....... awesome. I'm pretty sure I freaked Paul mcfarland out during the French matting class when I gilded skulls in a hot pink panel.
Ken Bauers what your accountant wont tell you class.......freaking blew my mind....... I'm changing everything! !!!!!!!!!!
I took the CPF exam.... if you want to know exactly what I think about that test you can Pm me.....
Robs lunch and learn on biz insurance was great!!!! Again... more stuff i need to change!! He must have known I was coming..... gave us jell o shots with lunch!!
Thank you rob for th Chinese (cat herding) dinner and for just everything!!!!

I have to reiterate .... it's the people in our industry that made this show amazing!!!

I met soooooo many people!!! Most I only talk to on the phone.... but in person.... so awesome!!!

Chickie.... babe...... I loves ya girlie! My partner in crime...I love your passion and positive attitude !!!! You are so much fun to be completely nuts with!!! Nextt year belliagio!!!! Maybe room 666 there will have a better view!

andy!!!!!! I want to keep you!!! Move closer!!! I had so much fun with you! I keep thinking of stuuff I want to talk to you about... only ill have to call now!

Becky!!! You need to move closer too! You crack me up my fiery red head'

Sarah! Love yah like a sister!! Congrsts on the MCPF!!!

Erin!!!!! My dancing buddy! So glad I got to meet you! You are beautiful!!!!

Randy!!!! You're the best! My favorite guy to pick on!!! Thanks for making me laugh!

Harry!!!! You are like the big brother I never had!!!!

MIKKI..... omg... I want to come to your shop! You are so talented! So cute!! Congrats on your MCPF!!!!!!!!!

Rob j....... so glad to meet you! You rock!

Great to meet everyone!!! And Also those that LURK on the G!!!!!

If you take anything away from the show .... I think its the energy and passion that we have for this business that gets recharged!!!

======================================================
I wonder what will be written about Spring Fair end of next week ? :giggle:
The gossip at the show was that Crescent has been appointed the Valiani distributor just for USA.
Las Vegas  Jan 2013 043 Crescent + Valiani.jpg
Las Vegas Jan 2013 043 Crescent + Valiani.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

I did plan to go Sunday but got a last minute gig in, so its a 4/5am start Monday morning for me,
got a glass crusher to pick up near Kidderminster, not whether to go before or after visit to fair,
I shall have a ponder then decide.
Any one else from the Northeast/Cumbria/ North Yorkshire heading down?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

If I go it will be Monday but I am not convinced yet. :? :?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Going on Monday, :ninja: will have my Forum Badge on

Yanks always use ten words when one will do :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
ChrisBishop
Organisation: Self Employed
Interests: Photography, Walking, Cycling

Post by ChrisBishop »

I'll be there. I'm keen. I haven't launched my framing business yet, so it's ALL new. I'll be wearing my Focus lanyard so bump into me and tell me it's a bad idea to get into framing NOW. I'll agree the site looks small. I might mosey over to Lion in Birmingham and see what they are like. I've used them as a supplier, along with DIR Framing.#
Chris Bishop
Keen but not so young
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I'm going on Sunday, just finished a piece for display on the Gunnar stand, going up by train which is going to be fun it's bigger than I expected when I booked the tickets. Hope to see some of you there.

Think I should have gone to Las Vegas though.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

ChrisBishop wrote:Keen but not so young
Ditto :wink:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I'm just about sorted for the early morning start. Leaving Bovey Tracey at 5am. It was gonna be earlier, but I have discovered that our breakfast venue does not open until 8am, hence the later start.

It appears that I can save quite a lot of mileage by turning off the M5 and travelling through the senic Vale of Evesham. I also avoid all that disgusting motorway food and don't get ripped off at the same time.

By the way, speaking of Motorway food! I hear that Burger king have discovered that they have horse meat in their burgers, but that's another tail. They do say that some people like them, so I guess it's horses for courses!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Is that the first or second course Mark? :giggle:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Had anyone actually complained or even noticed any difference in the burgers?

Don't personally see any problem with eating meat other than chicken, beef, pork and lamb which is all our supermarkets stock. The provenance of which is highly questionable in many cases especially chicken slaughtered at six weeks of age!

We live in a fairly rural area and there are huge numbers of wood pigeons and rabbits which would provide a good supply of free range meat and taste far better than the intensively farmed rubbish on the supermarket shelves.

Just to keep on topic I am not going to Springfair this year.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

David wrote:Think I should have gone to Las Vegas though.
Having just returned from the Vegas show, I strongly reccommend it to everyone. :clap:
What blows my mind is the 90 + Seminars covering such a wide range of subjects, for example

"Needle art Framing"
"The complete guide to shadow boxes"
"The Myth of Acid Free!"
"Sales techniques that work with every customer"
"The Goltz Standard: Pricing Stategies"
"Critical considerations for buying a CMC "
"Build a better website"

Some are sold out weeks in advance.

I brought back some spare copies of the Seminar brochure - anyone want a copy - just ask me.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg