Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

The Spring Fair

Post by GeoSpectrum »

This time last year people were talking about the Spring Fair, theere doesnt appear to be so much interest this year. Are people palnning on visiting? I'm undecided.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Roboframer

Re: The Spring Fair

Post by Roboframer »

If it was actually held in the Spring I might have a go.

Last year the weather was terrible and although I'd booked a hotel I took the AA's advice and didn't go - just as well, there were a lot of accidents, including a few from this forum.

The drive, for me, is dismal - M25 and M40; the NEC and surrounding area is dismal, grey and boring, so the event needs to be really really good ..... and it's not. I can't see myself attending it ever again unless I'm paid to!

I've heard Simons, who always had the largest stand of all, have reduced the size of it drastically, Arquadia aren't going, seminars are open to anyone walkiing by and not very interesting (IMHO) etc etc etc.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I didn't go last year but I was planning on going on the Monday this year, but looking at the list of exhibitors i could be back home in a couple of hours, so I may not bother. :giggle: :giggle:

It is a sad shadow of its former self, but times have changed, pity really when i started going 20yrs ago the whole place was an Aladdin's cave, looks a bit like a market stall on a cold winters day now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

We were giving it some serious thought this year as the offspring are finally old enough to be in charge on their own for a couple of days. Not so sure now after reading the above......

I think we may wait and see what the weather is going to do.

Dave
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

I was planning on going on the Sunday, it does seem to shrink every year I know but as it's still the biggest show in our business in this country, I do feel obliged to make an appearance and you will often pick-up some good "Spring Fair" deals if you oder on the day, so I'll take my usual shopping list of consumables and see if I can save a few bob :clap:

I also like wandering round some of the other halls, if only for inspiration, you'll either see ideas you can use for framing or you might see something that sits nicely alongside your current business perhaps ? not a bad idea in these austere times ....

See you there, I'll have my red Hotpress Lanyard on, who knows, I might even bump into Steve Goodhall, that'll give him a laugh. :clap:

cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i am not going to bother this year

although i am booked to go to focus on imaging, which is a photography show, and all the big labs will have their displays of what is selling to photographers
Framiac
Organisation: Framiac.com
Interests: My Life has been the custom picture framing industry with a strong emphasis on business management. In my spare time I enjoy cycling, swimming, Tennis, playing the guitar. All of these hobbies I'm quite bad at.

Post by Framiac »

I read this post with interest as we are going again this year. Last year we were amazed that despite the snow and dire travel news, we were really busy. There were lots of framers around throughout the week and we were glad we’d attended. Of course we’re hoping for slightly better weather this year to make life more pleasant outside of the halls!

As far as I’m aware, several of the big suppliers are still attending, and we’re going to be between Simons and the café! For those who are attending, please pop by and say hello – Gilly and I’ll be there and it’ll be good to see any familiar faces (or meet new ones, for that matter).

Mark.
DCS
Organisation: Durham City Studios
Interests: Photography and Framing

Post by DCS »

We are going on the Sunday, travel down on Sat after closing the shop, a night in a little hotel in Tamworth then a few hours at the show then back up to Durham ready for Monday mornings rush (I wish).
For my sins I own and operate
http://www.durhamcitystudios.com
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

I am glad this yhread was started, I was beginning to wonder if everyone had lost total faith in the fair.

Like Bagpus say's it is a visit to seek inspiration and devine intervention of a artistic, creative and money making kind. It is sometimes good to drop the apron and peel the glue from the fingers and mouch around like the sad sausages we sometimes can often be.

Deepjoy and keep the faith to you all in 2013.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Alas for me no. Firstly I am too busy to spend a day if there will be little of interest, even though I live less than 30 minutes away. Sundays are always rammed with catologue collectors so I do a weekday.

As Steve, I will be doing Focus on Imaging in March and will probably go with a mate who is a photographer just starting up professionally. Its sad, but really not worth the time now. :(
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

I shall go - unless something better to do crops up in the interim. It is always interesting to see new product coming from abroad and those with any commercial acumen, working in the trade of creating wall decor may find that they might learn some thing. As a has-bin I can visit those exhibitors I once supplied, gave away ideas to and was once their customer and have a bit of a crack over old times.

I showed at the gift fair and the furniture fair, I also showed at the Blackpool fair 198-?, which put a caucus of framing interests into the first time the framing hall came to be. It has been interesting to see those suppliers, who have gathered on the fringes of the framers show, it is the 'real framer' who has been the inspiration behind this part of the Spring Fair, unfortunately it is the self importance of the suppliers to the industry that has led to the decline of this area of productivity.

The in-bred snobbery within the trade failed to see the creativity within the grass roots of the of their own customers - but the we live in the age of the celebrity - so however talent-less they may be if there is an investment in advertising or PR that is the way the market must go.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I will not be going this year as there seems to be less to see with each passing year. Last year I went for the day but was struggling to find what to do next by lunchtime.

A few years back we went for Sun/Mon stayed overnight and went out for a meal or did the social thing with other forum members.

Shame it has declined so much.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I'm planning to go. I'm not aware of the in built snobbery referred to by A3D, so I cannot tell if there's a point there. But given the cost oftaking a stand ( I believe it's thousands + time), some suppliers might well feel like it's a catch 22, ie not really worth it for them either but do so nevertheless. Fortunately for them there's a lot more framers out there that the couple of dozen or so that populate this brilliant forum, so I do wish all suppliers well this year.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
pichousepreston
Organisation: The Picture House
Interests: Art, framing

Post by pichousepreston »

I'm going because I want to have a look at some new machinery. I last went a few years ago and was shocked at how small it was. Wasn't impressed at all.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I'm really busy at the moment, but I'm going to really try and go (weather permitting), if I do it will be on the Monday, in the Little Black Book there is only One page of exhibitors listed for the Art & Framing, that is pretty bad state of affairs. It's the Catch 22 situation, (framer) not going because hardly any suppliers there, (supplier) not exhibiting because hardly any framers show up, I'm worried that in about 2-3 years there will not be any Art & Framing at the Spring Fair :cry:
So I'm going to show some support :rock: to the die hard suppliers that do exhibit, and see whats new, and maybe have a quick look around some of the other halls
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Personally I think it reached tipping point about 4 yrs ago and the warning signs were prevalent when WG and Demontford left. Since then it has been a catch 22 falling visitors and falling exhibitors, neither willing to spare their resources to go.

We could all promise to go and all the exhibitors pledge to go, but really for what? In the digital age shows don't seem to work like they used too. There are so many new ways of getting your product out in front of the customer quicker and more cheaply. Arqadia have multiple product launches each year which the reps bring round or can be viewed online or through an email.

20-30 yrs ago my dad would go to shows and place an order with reps but that doesn't happen anymore the last time i placed an order at spring fair was nearly 10 yrs ago. You can't blame companies for not exhibiting the cost are prohibitive if you are not actually making any money at the show or increasing your customer base and sales by going. Arquadia have proved that they don't need to go so too did Washington Green and Demontford (though they run there own showcases at a fraction of the cost of a stand at SF).

So even if we all went would we be spending money or pledging business, I fear not, we would just be sat around drinking cups of coffee and eating peanuts courtesy of D&J Simmons.

The Spring fair organisers must shoulder some of the blame of the shows demise prohibitive costs and the sucessive moving of the show from hall to hall didn't help, coupled with the economic down turn and new ways of doing business.

Shows have been around since Victorian times so perhaps they have run there course.

Sad really as I used to enjoy going to a really busy big show, but not a sad shadow of its former self show.

Don't think I will be going now.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i dont think its just this industry

apple for example havent been at the big video shows for years

some of the camera companies dont go to some of the big shows

its the nature of these things, you used to have to go to the shows to see anything new. not anymore. show organisers need to find other reasons to attract visitors and therefore companies

things like the guild seminars are the way to do it i think, last year it was one of the reasons i went, wanted to go to 2 or 3 of the seminars
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yes I was looking to go to some seminars but the Pete Bingham one would have been the only one I would have gone to, would have gone to any on marketing or social media if there where any.

Perhaps shows need to be more educational to draw people in.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I wouldn't go to, or give any unless they were in dedicated rooms and booked in advance.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've been following this thread and giving it some thought as to justifying the time and the expense. As I already said, first time in sixteen years I've been able to go away without the assistance of the In Laws and I'm quite excited.

I recall the days when I worked for a living as an engineer. We used to love the trade shows, because it gave us the oppurtunity to see all the exciting developments that had been made in the world of manufacturing since last year.

Or to put it another way:

- A round trip of 250 miles towards your company car tax bill.
- Overtime, remember the good old days?
- Expenses paid refreshments on the way, lunch while you were there, and perhaps a sticky bun on the way home.
- A day at the NEC where reps would ply you with coffee, alcohol and ciggies, yes alcohol and ciggies were to be had in the early days of my career.
- Carrier bags upon carrier bags full of brochures and the odd freebie here and there (fuzzy gonks, mugs, desk pads,cheap pens, and diaries, oh how my head spins).
- Best of all it was a paid day away from the rigours of work.

NOW, I pay all the bills, the petrol, around £70.00 for my motor, the wear and depreciation, the possibility of a speeding ticket, the night in an overpriced hotel perhaps, the food, the coffee and I have to pay somebody else to cover my time off.

So we all do the same and weigh up the benefits. Hhhmmmm. This is where I personally am struggling, if I was looking for new equipment or suppliers, maybe, but then there's the internet and my all inclusive phone package, but I'm not looking for equipment, and there aren't any new suppliers going to be there. If anybody.

So on reflection I think I'll give it a miss, and hope there'll be another Framers Forum this year.

Dave