Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
calvin the framer
Organisation: Acanthus Art Framing
Interests: Pciture frame design/hisory/restoration. Memorabilia. Theatre

Spring Fair

Post by calvin the framer »

Well my 36th visit to a Spring Fair, and the saddest exhibition for our industry.
Could this be the penultimate Art and Framing sector? The Framers Forum members have attempted a show, which is hard work, but not acheiving the needed success.
The NEC venue is getting extremely expensive, but in truth, we still need a show, and it still needs to be as close to Brum as possible.
Here's an 'Idea' to mull in the minds of framers etc. Yes there is the FATG, which has a mag, and is very concerned about standards, quite right. BUT! Whats helping framers/frame shops and Gallery framers reach out to the market place and helps us get a good trade show?
Could there be a need for us at the sharp end to establish an association of : Picture Framers - Picture Framing Shops - Framing Gallery's which is open to these persons only and 'excludes' the Suppliers.
Here's another thought for you, one I argued with John from Larson Juhl, remember him? In America Larson Juhl advertised their moulding products directly to the public in glossy mags telling them
they were available from good proffesional framers etc. Similar here, 'Heinz' advertise their baked beans Heinz DO NOT advertise TESCO, BUT heinz DO NOT SELL baked beans they only manufacture them ( OK cook em and can em etc), but surely you get the point! None of our suppliers advertise here in the UK.
I have had this gripe every year on the trade stands,for years in the trade, and I know as soon as I've left the stand from my gripe they have a jolly good laugh behind my back, fine. BUT, trading is now getting seriouly difficult for many, with High Street rents forcing many to trade from alternative and home workshops. Also, with imports from Ikea etc, and DIY from Hobby Craft where the frames, mounts, glass and backs are supplied by one of moulding wholesalers, its harder and harder. Does everyone continue to sit back, shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, what can we do". I'm probably nearing the end of the line at my age, but I think it would be a sad loss to the public, if this industry was 'instutionalised' into the supermaket pschyc, which I'm sure Sir Terry formerly of Tesco desires. The future is about being positive, and fighting for it. We need to keep the craft, the individual skills alive.
Well thats another annual gripe out, time to get back in my box, the wife will let me out next year!!!!
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: Spring Fair

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Posted at 7pm last night and already 79 views - but not single response - I wonder why :?:
My thoughts are we already have T.F.F. (This forum ) and F.A.T.G. - we dont need any new group.

We need the 2 we have to come together - and find a way to mobilise their talents, energy, and enthusiasm to drive this industry forward.

I heard that the FF LIve event in Sept 2013 has been cancelled - is this true?
If it is then all the more reason for these 2 groups to foget past differences and come together.

Having just returned from the Las Vegas frame show last weekend, that was absolutely buzzing, I find it quite :( that we are so far behind the Yanks in Europe.

At least we still have a show and a magazine :clap: . The German show folded 2012. The French show and magazine have both closed last year.

Lets make sure that doesn't happen here
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Having walked the show yesterday, i thought that the exhibitors who did show did it well, how many of them will be back again next year I don't know. I did also go into halls 8-9 and what a difference. They are related industries and the halls were full of very large plush stands selling a whole host of interior decor and gift items ready to adorn someones home.

So why the difference?

One of the main reasons for the collapse of the show IMHO is the pulling out of the print publishers a few years ago, but that in turn was due to the change in market place and the domination of the two main publishers. The show used to be an ArtAND Framing Show, now it is just a framing show.

With the digital revolution and the way we all do business it is not surprising not many of us visit. The bottom line is that we don't really need to see this years moulding selections, reps bring them round or you get an email about them. Most of us stick with old favorites and if I want to buy a machine I may as well make a day of it visiting Lion, Simons or Wessex.

Unless the gallery owners are encouraged to visit to buy art and prints then there will be no show. Washington Green and Demontford set the trend and took the heart out of the show. If you are a gallery and framing business and you are tied to Washington Green you don't have much call to visit just to look at mouldings, and in any case you are likely to be buying Hayseed and Arqadia 756287000 :giggle: :giggle:

With regards to setting up another trade association the reason why the guild allows manufactures to join is for funding and more importantly allowing them to help set standards, without there cooperation and funding the guild would be lost.

And also why do you think that a new association under a different name would be any different? After talking With Louise Hay yesterday I can see that he guild is trying to make positive steps to engage a wider audience.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Massive shame if this years FF live is cancelled. I couldn't get last year, but the previous years was well worth the time and I had intended to be there this year.

I have already aired my views on spring fair and think it's been done now. If it was more local to me I would go, but otherwise it's just not worth the hassle.

If you don't want to read yet another whine about the FATG, just skip the next paragraph.

I don't think there is a need for any new trade organisations, we have the FATG, which should be the one. I'm not a member, and have only have one axe to grind it is simply too expensive for me too justify. In the past I have raised this point and the response I received from them suggested that it was a shame I couldn't afford to join. They missed the point, I can afford to do lot's of things, but they all get evaluated in terms of value for money. I will only join if there is more value in it and it really is that simple. Most of our customers have found us by word of mouth, I'm not on the high street and I haven't paid for advertising in the last three years. Our business has increased roughly 25% annually since it was started. I don't therefore think that a sticker in the window will change things monumentally for us. So more value comes from more support for our side of the FATG spectrum and / or reduced fees. By support I don't mean cheap phone deals, merchant bank services, insurance or any other nosense that anybody can negotiate themselves, but tangibles. More advice, resources, training etc. are the things we really need.

This forum is a fantastic way of sharing info and experiences, and the members who participate regularly never hesitate to give an opinion. Inevitably we don't all agree and feathers get ruffled now and again. Personally I think this is healthy, provided things don't get personal. So keep it going, join in, keep the debates going. There's enough combined knowledge on here to answer anything. When somebody does something to help you remember to say thank you, takes five minutes and costs you nothing.

Dave
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

I went yesterday and often in the past go back for a second day. I do not feel a great urge to do this this year, perhaps it is old age but it is a lovely sunny day here and I might go out for a 10 mile walk.

When I came into the decor trade (an unusual sideways shift from farm management :o ) Collectors Case took stands at a Art and Framing Show at Blackpool in the early 1980's, it was the first, I believe, and then we followed with a show at Alexandra Palace after which the Art and Framing show merged with the Spring Fair.

I think that the strength of the early shows, for the industry as a whole, were the framers, who were fabricators of decor, as opposed picture framers in the high street/bespoke model were linking the industry into the commercial decor market.
Unfortunately the past link between the art houses and moulding manufacturers, based more prints sells more moulding, pushed out other areas of broadening the framers skills and products.

Today this country imports a lot of cheaply made wall decor from abroad, it is now too expensive for those small businesses, who could create innovative new work to follow this pathway to find customers and secure a market.

Those few years, when as a mere new comer, I was able to stand beside the big names in an industry, gave me a leg up and customers who stayed with me until I wound up my business.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

I made my last visit to the Spring Fair last year and was disappointed then so nothing about the state of the show surprises me. What is disturbing is the fact that if its true the=at FF Live is cancelled for 2013, then our industry is totally fragmented. Art (covered by the big two as Alistair says) FATG covering those who are in it to get qualifications and then Framers Forum team who represent everyone else.

Perhaps the biggest problem is the fact that its the Spring Fair. I have long thought that it is too big and covers too many areas that really need a week to get round. The big problem with the Spring Fair is cost. It is horrendous. Hundreds of pounds for sockets, everything "extra" charged for which must make Simons, Lions and Wessex eventual cost for the show, eye watering.

Is that really why DeMonfort and Washington Green finally pulled out of the show? There was insufficient return on the investment put in?

I think the answers have been put on here. We need the suppliers, the big art dealers and some of the big framers to get together to have one show, probably somewhere "buoyant" like London where we can all get to by public transport and have our own do at an affordable price. FF have the innovators, the suppliers and art dealers have the attractions and the FATG have the bond between all three areas and of course the competition between framers.

I think some serious negotiations between these groups to get one single show on the road for perhaps 3 to 4 days would be the answer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

One thing the show organisers don't seem to grasp is that both suppliers and customers have to see a benefit in going.

Clearly the majority of suppliers and visitors don't see a benefit in going.

Was it benificial for me to go? On reflection no. I picked up the latest Simons catalogue, talked a bit of business with Steve, gossiped with Steve, found a potential supplier in hall 9 and bought an expensive cup of coffee. Got stuck in traffic for 2hrs and used half a tank of diesel.

Correct me of I am wrong, but I don't think anywhere I said I saw an inspirational piece of framing, or show stopping piece of Art.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I think the show is great for newcomers. Although there is probably too much to take in in one go. After a few years of going you tend to have seen it all before. Nothing new and exiting and it's a long, cold journey for most folks.
From what I gather, there aren't half the stands that there used to be. Might be nicer if they shifted it to April or May.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I think the time of year is key to exhibitors outside of our industry that are at Springfair as they are there to do business for the christmas market.

With volume items and far east production they need the lead time.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I decided to visit the fair on Tuesday, I didn't get anything like what I wanted to do done, so had to go back down on Wednesday, still could do with going back tomorrow but should really go to work.

Spent quite along time on the simons stand having machinery demos, I defiantly need to upgrade my equipment and this was the first step. :|

Spent a load of time looking at stuff for the gallery and have found plenty of leads, got plenty of ideas.

Spent more time talking to some of the exhibitors who we supply with prints/mounts, it's nice to put faces to phone calls/emails and I think its is good PR.

Did not have time to talk to Wessex, framers corner and the FATG which I wanted to do.

All in all well worth the trip.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The Spring Fair was much bigger before the recession, but now our suppliers have to make some careful decisions how their use their marketing and advertising budgets. They need to cover the costs of maintaining their teams of reps, who travel all over the country, pay for advertising, pay for free moulding samples and postage. Plus even more that most of us don't realise.

To expect our suppliers to commit themselves to futher large scale costs to help get anything which is completely unproven off of the ground is just not realistic. The risks vs the benefits don't add up!

I for one would like to say thanks to our suppliers, for continuing to do as much as they still do, in such difficult times.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

I remember coming back from previous Spring Fair's buzzing with excitement about new productuts, having seen many and various machines being demonstrated and watched various techniques demonstrated.

This year, the 40 or so exhibitors all seemed a bit lacklustre.

It was good to meet up with some old faces but As Alistair said there was nothing inspirational in either framing or art. I didn't feel the need to order anything from the show, apart from a few free moulding samples.

I think this might have been the case across the whole fair. A few businesses we supply were showing in various halls at the NEC and at least 2 off these businesses didn't take enough during the show to cover their costs of being there.

All in all a bit sad really and a reflection of the demise of the high street. Surely with an election in May 2015 this Government must start stimulating the economy soon? #Vote Boris!
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Boris is the man. :clap:

If he didn't make any difference we would at least get a laugh.
pichousepreston
Organisation: The Picture House
Interests: Art, framing

Post by pichousepreston »

I enjoyed it, but went specifically to try some new equipment and haggle. My Lancashire charm got me some great discounts :D

It's a shame that some of the big suppliers no longer go, but when they have reps servicing (if you pardon the expression!) their customers and showing new stuff out on the road, they have to get a hell of a lot of new business to make it worth while.

The journey down the M6 was the worst thing, took 3 hours there and the same back when it should have been less than 2 :(
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I had a car like that once.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Keith Hewitt wrote: ...At least we still have a show and a magazine :clap: . The German show folded 2012. The French show and magazine have both closed last year. Lets make sure that doesn't happen here
I agree with Keith's assessment of the current situation in the UK. Actually, framers in the UK have a very good magazine as well as a small but functioning trade fair where many countries do not.

Indeed the Spring Fair has gotten smaller over the years, but this has happened to many industries around the word. Tied to the other elements at the NEC has positives and negatives. The larger venue is a bit more expensive, but at least it is not as long as Gift Shows in the U.S. which last 6-10 days.

Many successful framing shows around the world have embraced education, and although the FATG has offered Seminars at the Spring Fair, many are poorly attended. I had some with 40-50 people standing but a few with less than a handful. Colin Ruffell, Pete Bingham and Mal Reynolds were just three of the other instructors who offered programs in Birmingham. Many of these classes would have cost framers $50-75 at the highly successful WCAF show in Las Vegas (See Keith Hewitt's comment above).

I wonder how many posters to this thread who feel dissapointed in the Spring Fair sat down to take in at least one of these seminars offered by the FATG?

I personally met a number of framers who seemed enthusiastic about adding education to a grand day out. Although the Spring Fair is not as it was 15 years ago (the world does change), I think that the Art & Framing element is definitely worth supporting!

John

P.S. I placed an order of cards and prints from a smaller artist from Edinburgh. This was only her second Spring Fair and it is folks like this who rely on this venue.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

John - you'll need to come visit her in person in Edinburgh, and also pop in and see us - of course it would be a business related expedition :)