Wanted - 21" old style standard lion stretcher bars

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
aceframer
Organisation: Ace Framing & Art Gallery
Interests: framing, art, scouting

Wanted - 21" old style standard lion stretcher bars

Post by aceframer »

Has anyone got any 21" old style lion standard stretcher bars that they would like to sell ? I also might be interested in any other sizes you might want to get rid of
jaybee173
Organisation: JFT
Interests: framing

Re: Wanted - 21" old style standard lion stretcher bars

Post by jaybee173 »

Do you have a picture of these - may have a pack but not sure they are lions

Regards

j
mho
Organisation: Valley Photo Print & Picture Framing
Interests: Photography, F1, Films, Music.

Post by mho »

What do you mean by old style ?.
aceframer
Organisation: Ace Framing & Art Gallery
Interests: framing, art, scouting

Post by aceframer »

top one is the old style and bottom the new style, so old ones have a smaller lift edge and are slightly thicker in depth - so they dont fit together :head:
Attachments
20201031_103337 (1).jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Does anyone make their own stretcher bar and wedges, or has anyone ever considered doings this? I am wondering just how difficulty wouu;d be involved in doing this. A couple of angled jigs and a table saw might be all you need to have to be able the buy stretcher bar mouldings from a moulding supplier cut the bars to length and then machine the ends to fit together and accept the wedges.

It sounds possible, I wonder what it would take to do this. If this was to be a practical possiblity, then I would be possible to keep a stock of stretcher bar moulding and make up the exact lengths of stretcher bars that were needed in no time at all. Maybe some of us could produce custom sets of stretcher bars to sell to local artists.

Does this sound crazy, or is it an idea that has advantages and makes a bit sense after all.

Comments please!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Post by Jag62 »

I think the challenge with making your own on a table saw, even with a jig, would be the faff of setting up the saw so it cut extremely accurately ensuring a perfect fit & good alignment all round. Then multiple passes of the saw blade would be needed to create the mitre plus you'd need to ensure that the flat side of the moulding was always against the fence or bed which I imagine would necessitate a regularly to/fro between -45deg and +45deg on the mitre fence. A table router / spindle moulder might produce better results but that would mean getting the appropriate tooling made up. And by the time you've got it perfected you'll use the saw or router for another job & then have to go through set up again (like my Keencut grrrr) !

Neil