Keencut mountt

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
plowe63
Organisation: Inn place
Interests: Golf

Keencut mountt

Post by plowe63 »

Hello just joined and getting used to site
I am a contract framer in Sunderland and used a carruthers mountcutter for 17 years 😀 i am looking ti invest in new one or good second hand one
Just wondering if keencut are overpriced or worth it
Sny help would be great and advice or point me in direction of good secondhand one
Thanks Paul
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Keencut mountt

Post by pramsay13 »

I have a Keencut Ultimat Gold that I have used for 10 years. I don't have anything to compare it to but I've never had any issues. It takes a bit of tweaking every few weeks but other than that it works beautifully.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There's nothing wrong with a Carithers mountcutter, but it's an older mountcutter and eventually wear will occur causing some wear. If yours is still working well, maybe you don't need to get a new one. There are plenty of framers still using C & H mountcutters which is the other name which the Carithers mountcutter was known by, so it's a good mountcutter until excessive wear develops.

Today most of the cheaper mountcutters are not what you would call professional mountcutters and if you want something which will withstand regular day to day use, there are not too many decent mountcutters to choose from. Keencut and Fletcher Terry are the main contenders, so it's probably between those two. I personally have a strong liking for the Fletcher Terry, but there's not too much between both companies on their latest models.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I've had a Fletcher and a Keencut, both excellent machines. For a professional hand cutting machine, these are the only choices I have heard of. They're priced pretty much the same. Keencut have a few additional accessories which speed up reverse bevels, cutting multi window large mounts.
etc. With no other competition, it's hard to say if they're over priced.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

They are not overpriced, but it's true that you do get what you pay for and both are built to last, which a lot of the cheaper ones do not last as well. Also getting spare parts for many cheaper mountcutters can be a bit of a lottery.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Romanf345
Organisation: Simply Watercolors
Interests: Framing, painting, photography

Post by Romanf345 »

You are right Mark…..I have a Keencut Arrow and an Ultimat. Both are long in the tooth and work great! :D :D
plowe63
Organisation: Inn place
Interests: Golf

Post by plowe63 »

Thanks everyone for your help snd comments
Now its do i go for keencut or fletcher 😀 i am leaning towards keencut a little bit more but as member kindly mentioned a few extra bits not sure what size 😀
Great site snd members 👍
Just a wuick one i frame up for pubs hotels tc to the trade and i buy job lots of moulding etc as usually they leave it to me for framed
I have bought a lot in bulk lately so if any members need to get rid of large amounts of moulding mount board sticky board give me ashout thanks Paul
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

As I said, I've had both. Keencut has some very small design differences, which for me put it in front. Add to that, they're British made rather than US made, meaning parts are readily available and customer service when needed has been excellent.
Size of mount cutter really depends on how often you need jumbo mounts. I've only needed two or three a year so I get Wessex Fine Art to supply them.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer