Excalibur 5000 or Keencut Steeltrak Wanted

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Thewhitewallgallery
Organisation: The White Wall Framers
Interests: Sports and Framing

Excalibur 5000 or Keencut Steeltrak Wanted

Post by Thewhitewallgallery »

Hi all,

Im looking to purchase a wall mounted material cutter.

If anybody is selling one or you can recommend where to purchase one it would be appreciated.

As its my first one I'm happy to purchase older models in fair condition.

Thanks

Matt 07516251136
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Excalibur 5000 or Keencut Steeltrak Wanted

Post by Not your average framer »

The Keencut Steeltrak seems to have quite a good following, lots of people seem to really like them. Maybe the wall mounted cutter of choice!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I have a Steeltrak. I bought it second hand with a bundle of equipment. It is a great machine, but designed for sign writers not picture framers. The advantage is that it it beefier that the Excalibur and can easily cut Dibond. The disadvantage is that to cut glass there is an extra section to insert in the cutting area. This extra piece, which is like a big metal ruler will work with the cutting blades and the glass cutter, but needs to be removed before you can use the ‘rota-trim’ cutter. It just slots in and out ( no tools required) in seconds.

Overall not a big deal, but if you are never going to cut Dibond, the Excalibur is probably a better bet for picture framers.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Thewhitewallgallery

Gesso&Bole wrote: Wed 06 Oct, 2021 8:50 pm I have a Steeltrak. I bought it second hand with a bundle of equipment. It is a great machine, but designed for sign writers not picture framers. The advantage is that it it beefier that the Excalibur and can easily cut Dibond. The disadvantage is that to cut glass there is an extra section to insert in the cutting area. This extra piece, which is like a big metal ruler will work with the cutting blades and the glass cutter, but needs to be removed before you can use the ‘rota-trim’ cutter. It just slots in and out ( no tools required) in seconds.

Overall not a big deal, but if you are never going to cut Dibond, the Excalibur is probably a better bet for picture framers.
Thanks for the advice regarding the Steeltrak. Always handy to know these things. greatly appreciated
Thewhitewallgallery

Not your average framer wrote: Wed 06 Oct, 2021 7:41 pm The Keencut Steeltrak seems to have quite a good following, lots of people seem to really like them. Maybe the wall mounted cutter of choice!
It would seem so yes. I look forward to owning one (if there's any available)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I changed from an old Keencut System 4000, to a Fletcher Terry 3100 during the last year, or so. I like it a lot especially as the sliding bearings are self adjusting for life. I've had various Keencut mountcutters over the years too and I'm not complaining about them, but while I was under going 6 months training at Triton galleries, they switched to the Fletcher Terry and it was great!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer