I am thinking about starting a blog for my business.

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I am thinking about starting a blog for my business.

Post by Not your average framer » Sat 13 Nov, 2021 10:27 am

I am thinking about starting a blog for my business. This will be partly to share some my own knowledge and to promote what I do, but also as a bit of a show case for my business as a kind of low key sort of thing. Any recommendations as to how I should go about this, or what software and platform I should be using? At this stage I'm not to sure how practical this might be!

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer

pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: I am thinking about starting a blog for my business.

Post by pramsay13 » Sat 13 Nov, 2021 7:23 pm

I think a vlog using youtube would be great. Most people are looking for short videos these days.

GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Framing, cycling, Family, x-country skiing, wine, art

Post by GeoSpectrum » Sat 13 Nov, 2021 7:47 pm

Instagram is probably the best bet if you want to find customers as well as showcase your work. Blogs are a little passive and a bit outdated.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Plain wood frames, Inlay/tray frames and painted frames for artists.
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Twitter: @AshcraftFrames
Our Blog: http://ashcraftframing.wordpress.com/
Doing nothing is a much underrated activity

Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion » Mon 15 Nov, 2021 9:34 pm

Content and presentation.

You're very good at writing content, you've got years worth of script material, much of it here. The challenge is how to present it to camera.

Lighting and camera kit are not terribly difficult to master, but production is far simpler in a stills world, as you choose single frames to illustrate the thoughts and processes, and how it fits with the text. With video, you've got a contiunous flow to be scripted, captured and edited. Certainly not impossible, but I'd consider starting with a stills and text based process, and then if you're able in your space to do this, consider moving onto video.

Instagram can be used effectively as a publishing platform; many artists and those interested in art are avid consumers of well produced content. If space and time allow you to move onto video, then all the better. I guess it depends on how much time, as well as capital you can devote to it. Short pieces work well for Instagram, longer ones lend them selves to you tube. In all cases, your production values need to be sufficiently high, to keep viewers.

I'm not sure I've seen a website of yours - regardless of whether it's e-commerce or not, what your're suggesting is an extension of your shop window - ultimately, product shots of what you're doing. If you have a website (sorry I didn't see it), then a well maintained blog is a great ranking boost, particularly when fed by the type of content loved by google and facebook. Again, provided that you have the space time to take the pictures, then you'll have a very much live blog, and the content to generate traffic without much ad-spend. Web platforms such as Wix and squarespace are relatively simple to set up.

I'm afraid it comes back to the images. Plenty of your peers will read the content, as we do now. Good images will help to drive the customers, will help them tell their friends about you.

GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Framing, cycling, Family, x-country skiing, wine, art

Post by GeoSpectrum » Tue 16 Nov, 2021 2:32 am

iPhone or android phone is all you need for Instagram. You could spend weeks thinking about it or just get on with it.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Plain wood frames, Inlay/tray frames and painted frames for artists.
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Twitter: @AshcraftFrames
Our Blog: http://ashcraftframing.wordpress.com/
Doing nothing is a much underrated activity

fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer » Tue 16 Nov, 2021 3:43 pm

Couldn't agree more with Geospectrum's above statement. My own business has grown in the last few years and this has been down to seeing an opportunity and just going for it. Very often, too much procrastinating and the opportunity has gone.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

swany
Organisation: PC framing
Interests: framing & photography

Post by swany » Tue 16 Nov, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi Mark,

As i said before you would be very good at it based on your contribution on here. As it's for business I suggested you just start off with a Facebook business page, it will save you going through the hassle of a webpage and wordpress etc. you can post how often you like, type what you want and add photos & videos.
As a local business you will start not only to get a following but also be able to target your location. plus people can message you, you can show your number, location etc. If your not on Facebook as yourself do that first then invite all your friends, once you have a few dozen on your personal page you can invite them to your business page hence the web opens up. you can also do sponsored posts and pic a radius, say 10 miles from your shop and facebook will target that audience for you. if you go onto youtube there are plenty of vids showing you what to do.