Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.


Postby Ed209 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:36 pm

I am trading from home my work shop is a room in our house and the reception area for customers is half my attached garage.
Obviously I need insurance for public liability and also to cover accidental damage to customers work so looking for guidance and recommendations please.

Posts: 373
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:22 pm
Location: Birchington-on-Sea, Kent
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Gunnar Computerised Mountcutters

Re: Insurance

Postby GeoSpectrum » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:49 am

We use NFU, they have a policy designed for the home worker.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Plain wood frames, Inlay/tray frames and painted frames for artists.
Twitter: @AshcraftFrames
Our Blog:
Doing nothing is a much underrated activity
User avatar
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 pm
Location: Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
Location: Lincolnshire
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Framing, cycling, Family, x-country skiing, wine, art

Re: Insurance

Postby poliopete » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:48 pm

If you check old posts on this subject NFU come highly recommended. :D

Myself. I have always used a local broker and never had a problem.

Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:13 am
Location: The Wash
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Insurance

Postby prospero » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I use the NFU. :yes: :D

It's a good idea to fix a base level for 'work held in trust'. If you have to keep artwork on the plot for
any length of time that goes over this level you can give them a bell and bunk up the cover for the duration.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
User avatar
Posts: 10318
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Insurance

Postby Jamesnkr » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Talk to your current household insurers. They may well already cover you for a low level of home working.

What you will not be covered for is:

1. Insurance if anybody else uses your Morso. Don't forget employer's liability insurance if you have anybody helping you.
2. Your customers' stock, as Prospero notes. But... if you're not framing valuable artwork then you may consider you're better off saving that expense.

Most of the cost of insurance cost is against fire.

Return to Business Matters

  • Advertisement

Picture Framer's Trade Directory
Picture Framer's Oracle

Members Map Header
Members Map
More info
Resources Header
Contact Forum Admin
How to include an image in your post
Cove Box Designer
Download Designer
General supplies
UK Medals
Framers Forum Live!
Support Header
Advertise Header
Forum Banner Ads