chop service for a local artist??

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

chop service for a local artist??

Post by The Common Framer »

Hi

I have a local artist enquiring if I could provide a chop and join service for some bare timber moulding she would supply. she wants 20 frames 20 x 20 cm .

Not sure if I want to do this but I know she wont pay my supply and make rate. Do any of you do this and if so, how do you fix a charge?

cheers

matt
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: chop service for a local artist??

Post by JFeig »

It's a slippery slope. Offer her finished frames at your regular rate with a quantity discount based on each orders volume.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

You've bought the Morso, you've also bought the underpinner. You've invested your time and money in your knowledge and experience. Your customer has none of these. She now has to buy access to all of these.
Charge your hourly rate and price in a handling charge.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

You should also consider the wastage need need for damaged/warped moulding. Just because there might be enough moulding in length to make 3.5 frames you may only be able to make 2 good frames. Who takes the hit? All good advice already given.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How busy are you? If you are already as busy as you want to be, it might be more hassle than it's worth. Be careful, artists are always after something for nothing. Also think about your reputation, if the wood is rubbish, so will be the finished frames - guess who will be be blamed for a negative outcome. Artists are unlikely to think that it's their fault for supplying rubbish wood and they could well say bad things to a lot of other people.

Unless you are desperate for the work, I would say stay clear of jobs like this. It's hard work getting a good reputation and it does not take much when it comes to negative comments to undo all that hard work. Too many possible risks for me!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I don't mind supplying bare frames for people to do their thing on, but I would be very windy about chopping moulding that a customer
supplies. It's an unknown moulding that you haven't 'road tested' and non-framing people generally have unrealistic expectations. If they have
100ft they will work out on paper that it will yield say, 20 frames. When they get 14 they will think you are skimming some off. :roll:

I've done this in the past and invariably it's been a PITA. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Try taking a bag of spuds into your local fish 'n' chippy shop and see what sort of reaction you get when you ask them to peel them, cut them and cook them :giggle:

Offer a cut and join bare wood frame for them to finish how they want but only if you supply the moulding :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

Same advice as David really - although I wouldn’t suggest you use this approach - what if you said to the artist...you’ll buy some paint and canvas and can they Do the rest for a nominal fee per painting...

I was once asked to provide a quote for something similar for a double stacked frame with a PITA moulding on the outside which would mean a lot of waste!! Gave my labour costs minus moulding costs and was rather politely declined the job, as they only wanted to pay £2 per frame chopped and joined...as that was what they were paying before, but the guy they used previously had gone out of business....
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Jayvee wrote: what if you said to the artist...you’ll buy some paint and canvas and can they Do the rest for a nominal fee per painting....
If we had a Lol-ometer, this would surely go straight to the top :lol:
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I'm a little set in my ways in some areas including never turning down business. :D
And FWIW I will happily supply "rims only", glass, mounts and fittings etc but never using the customers moulding or glass :shock:

Just make sure you charge enough.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Like poliopete, I supply an artist with kits ocassionally, which she hand finishes and assembles. Its easy work and she thinks she is saving.
Reusing their glass is another waste of time, unless its antique. It takes so long to clean like new and almost always has a scratch somewhere.
Best advice I've heard is the 80% acceptance 20% refusal rate.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer