Trading..

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Trading..

Post by sable filbert »

It seems a few suppliers are open for business at this strange time.
After 33 years of framing work, I sort of consider it my lifeline, however I appreciate the government advice on covid 19 and just checking again their pages on the subject, we as framers surely fit into the "non-essential " category?

I have heard of some framers opening quietly for trade, sometimes not so quietly!

Surely better to wait a "couple" more weeks to slow this dreadful virus down?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Trading..

Post by Not your average framer »

These suppliers are not breaking the law, as far as I understand, if they can work within the social distance guidelines and are not open to the public. However, those of us with retail shops are not permitted to be open during the shut down and considering that peoples lives may be at stake, this restriction makes a lot of sense to me. I'm self isolating anyway! My life is worth more to me than just an extra few quid in the till.

At the end of the day, the law is the law, and there still are legal ways of doing a bit of trading, without breaking the law, if you want to go to all the bother of doing business by post and also accepting payment by card over the phone, or getting a cheque in the post. The govenments restrictions don't rule that out. For my self staying at home is not that bad and it's not going to be forever anyway.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

I can see that if you are a genuine trade supplier then there is no reason why you should not continue to operate normally provided you are closed to the public and are just sending out by carrier or post and I know that some members fall into this category. My personal view is that retail framing is non-essential, and that continuing to trade 'quietly' by asking customers to leave work and collect outside, for example, is just encouraging non-essential journeys and putting others at risk. I am sure that there may be others with a different view, but I'm trying to do everything I can to follow the guidelines. I'm still holding on to a few bits of work that my customers won't be seeing until this is all over. They all understand and have no issue with it. Hopefully this won't last too much longer and we can all get back to normal. In the meantime, back to the tidying!
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I've been chewing this one over for a few weeks now.

My workshop is at home so I have been continuing to work, clearing a bit of a backlog I had, framing some of my own photos, tidying up and doing a bit of a stocktake.

The actual law and government guidelines seems to be if you can't work from home then you are permitted to travel to work and continue to work, providing you can do it safely, i.e. not within 2 metres of others, improved cleaning routine etc so I think those that want to go into work even if not at home are permitted to do so.

The issue then is that members of the public cannot travel for non-essential items, and I think picture frames falls into this category, so they shouldn't be making a journey to your shop / workshop.

That said, if they are out for another reason there is probably an argument for them stopping off on their way so drop off an item or pick one up.

A consultation using samples etc. is probably too difficult but this can be done remotely either using video call or photographs.

After a few weeks of complete silence, I have started to get a few enquiries now, mainly as people are wanting frames to give for presents. I've said I am open and working and if they can get an item to me safely I am happy to frame it. Some have been just coming into the workshop and dropping off the item and I have then sent them photos with some ideas. Others have been happy to stand back and watch me as I have chosen a few samples.

One item I went and picked up from behind the customer's front door, I didn't even see them.

I haven't been shouting about the fact I am open as there seems to be a bit of stigma for anyone working that isn't NHS or food, but I have been continuing to post on my social media feeds with previous work and I have sent a newsletter to all my customers.

On a related aside the Glasgow branch of Centrado (Holroyd) is closed so I have to get some items by courier from their head office.

In summary, I think you need to do a bit of research and reach a conclusion that you and your customers are comfortable with, and be ready to justify it.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I’m with Jonathan on this. I consider picture framing (and frames) to be non essential.

I’ve closed the shop, furloughed the workers and closed my online business too. I could have carried on with the online side on my own, but like I say, I consider it non essential.

I’ll reopen as soon as government advice allows, but probably with reduced opening hours to start with and fewer staff if government extend the furlough scheme.

Take care