Will I need to install perspex screens in my shop in order to re-open for business?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Will I need to install perspex screens in my shop in order to re-open for business?

Post by Not your average framer »

I have an extremely small shop and carry out much of the business of framing within the main part of the shop. Because the shop is so small, maintaining the 2 metre separation between my self and my customers will require some very careful thinking and some re-design of the shops current layout. As a result, I am giving some thought as to how I will need to do things to make this work.

I am also wondering, if the precautions I need to take, will need to be inspected and approved by someone acting in an official capacity. I have done plenty of searching the internet, but I can't find anything, which answers this question. I wonder if anyone on the forum knows anything about this issue.

My thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Will I need to install perspex screens in my shop in order to re-open for business?

Post by pramsay13 »

Nobody knows yet as there are no official guidelines.

I imagine you will have to find your own rules that you and your customers are comfortable with. If they are not comfortable they will not come to your shop.

So that might be 2 metres apart, perspex screens, no face to face contact at all etc.

I doubt there will be any official inspections, more likely there will be some kind of general helpline.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Will I need to install perspex screens in my shop in order to re-open for business?

Thanks,

I suppose that's pretty much what I'm expecting as well. I don't suppose that it will be easy obtaining the perspex and other materials and I'm thinking that I will probably need to allow plenty of space for the area between the perpex screens, so that the shop does not feel too clastrophobbic, for the customers. This may necessitate a complete refit and fitting a new access doorway in to one of the internal walls, so that I can more from one side of the shop to the other, without passing through the customers dedicated area. Could be some serious expense!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

many of the local shops around me, don't seem to be using perspex screens at check outs to provide protection between their staff and customers, which I find amazing, so what does the law require?

For me, I don't understand why there is not more protection. How do we otherwise keep people safe? Most of these pre-produced persex scree which simply stand on the counter, cost less than £100. What price do you put on peoples safety? For me, I don't want to live with regret know that I should have done better, but too late to do anything about keeping people safe.

Quite large sheets of 2mm clear acrylic seem to be quite cheap from some of the major DIY shops and builders merchants. 2mm acrylic is a bit bendy, but I probably more than good enough, if well supported in a wooden frame.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

From what I'm hearing Mark, the law doesn't require anything specific, save to use our common sense and to make our premises ( Covid ) user-friendly. On a practical level, I don't think anyone is going to be out shopping for a long time yet, for you to even consider going to the trouble of erecting safety screens.
If I had a retail premises, I would be putting a notice on my door inviting customers to make an appointment only. Then when they do turn up, you can use common sense to keep a respectable distance.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I've been thinking about this for some time, and the other week I just happened to mention it to a friend, last week he turn up with a wooden framework ready to put perspex on, it's not how I would have done it , but I didn't want to hurt his feeling, so I installed it last week, I cut some white paper covered spacers (from Simons) joined to make a frame and use double sided tape to attach to some perspex, which in turn was screwed to the wooden framework my mate had made, I fitted it to my front counter, the perspex is 4ft long by about 80cm high, I'm going to get some hazard tape to put on the front of the framework. I then covered the top surface of the counter with the plastic sheets that come between the AR P70 glass, so I can wipe down between each customer.
I'm going to run an appointment only system for now, I'm in the middle of updating my website with a special page for our COVID-19 policy, with a sorry no small children allowed (as I don't want them running around touching everthing) , only single persons or couples (as we all know husband and wives often come in to choose the framing) they will have to hand over their work, which I will place on the counter behind the screen, and the customer will only be able to point to moulding samples (no touching) as I'm going to rope off the moulding display wall, and same with mounts, and I will offer up the choice, once discided on framing , I will quote and then email invoice to them
When the come to collect they will have to make an appointment, 5 -10 minutes before the collection appointment, I will place their finished work in front of the counter, where when they arrive they can inspect it and heap praise on me :bow: :inlove:, my mobile credit /debit card terminal will be on their side of the screen for payment.
Then after they have left, I can wipe the counter down and also the door handles, also wash my hands as well
Counter Shield.jpg
I will have notices on the door also regarding making appointments etc also a QR code which will take them atraight to the COVID-19 policy page on the website
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

I am planning to produce a perspex screen for the customer consultation bench and another for the sales area, where payments will be made. All coins and plastic monetary notes will be chemically cleaned, while paper monetary notes will be wiped over with allcaohol wipes. I will have a little sliding drawing that can be slid backwards and forwards under the screen to enable money to be passed under the screen an there will be side screens around the sides of the main screen, so that even ehen the customer moves to one side, I will still be adequately protected and so will they.

On the customer consultation bench, there will be a hindged flap under the bottom of the perspex screen, that can be opened to allow artworks to be pass from one side of the bench to the other. Small extractor fans will allow air around this little flap to be extracted, which will ensure that any contaminated air cannot pass from one side of the flap to the other, instead that contaminated air will be expelled safely out of the building.

I will also wear a mask and a clear face visor as I don't think that you can be too careful. Small fans in various parts of the build will introduce positive air pressure, so that the preveiing air currents within the shop and workshop will be flowing towards the areas of the screens, between myself and any customers and the extracted out of the building.

I am also aware that all surfaces will need to be washable and capable of adequate hygenic cleaning and this will where possible include the work bench tops. The cleaning routine will extend to all tools and equipment. I have at times, worked in clean room environments and know how they work, so I will maintain the same principles, which I already know are sound working principles.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

When you planning on opening Steve?

Our phone has been quite busy today with people asking when we're going to open, but not sure of current government guidance?
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Current government guidance is as follows:
The following businesses can remain open
food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops
off licences and licensed shops selling alcohol (including breweries)
pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and chemists
newsagents
homeware, building supplies and hardware stores
petrol stations
car repair and MOT services
bicycle shops
taxi or vehicle hire businesses
banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers and cash points
post offices
funeral directors
laundrettes and dry cleaners
dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health
veterinary surgeons and pet shops
agricultural supplies shops
storage and distribution facilities, including delivery drop off or collection points, where the facilities are in the premises of a business included in this part
car parks
public toilets

Other businesses must remain closed.

So if you consider yourself “homeware” then crack on, otherwise you’ll have to wait (currently) until at least 1st June.
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Framerpicture wrote: Mon 11 May, 2020 7:53 pm When you planning on opening Steve?

Our phone has been quite busy today with people asking when we're going to open, but not sure of current government guidance?
I'm planning to open on the 1st June if Boris says so, I have also had customers ring and text me over the last 3 weeks,
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Not your average framer

I have spoken to my local authority, but they qre tell me that that I am not considered as a business supplying home wares and that I have been added to a list to be contacted and kept up to date with when I will be allowed to re-open. They don't seem to know very much aboutwhen this might be. I would like to be making some preparations, but obtaining materials to prepare my shop is looking very doubtful at present.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Here's how to do a risk assessment for your shop, specifically tailored for COVID-19 and accessed from the Government advice pages for businesses --> https://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/shop.htm

We've started telling people we are aiming for 1st June re-opening our retail front under current advice (as per the announcement on Sunday), but that this might change nearer the time.

Particularly liked SteveN's advice about having a COVID-19 page on our website to inform people what steps we are taking to protect them and ourselves, going to pinch that idea Steve :clap:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Well I'm getting more and more customers, old and new asking if we are open, so I'm getting ready to reopen on Tuesday 2nd June, so have been updating our website, I have a dedicated COVID19 page, going to update Facbook and Istagram pages, and made a poster for our shop front
COVID19 door notice.jpg
along with a QR Code, which will take viewers straight to the correct webpage, try it, does work on my phone
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Abi
Organisation: AbCoStudio
Interests: Folk music

Post by Abi »

If you are a sole trader it is fairly straightforward. Particularly if you offer appointments rather than an open door policy.

If you can maintain a 2m distance from the customer you don't need a Perspex screen. For instance if you can operate either side of a 1.2m work bench with the floor marked out with hazard tape at 800mm from the bench on either side, and you step back behind the line to allow the customer to approach and they retreat in turn when it's time for you to step forward then a screen would not be required.

Providing hand sanitiser for customers entering is a good idea, and offering them a mask and the option of requesting you wear one is probably polite, but not a requirement.

Minimising the customer interaction with samples and chevrons is a good idea, and a bucket of disinfectant wipes for wiping anything a customer touches after each appointment is sensible.

My main job involves working for a large hardware retailer, so we have been dealing with this for some time. We do use Perspex screens at the tills, but that is to protect staff from customers that fail to keep a sensible distance. On the shop floor clear markings indicating a 2m distance on the floor and signs at eye level reminding people is all that is required.

If you're not a sole trader it is a lot more complicated.