Insurance / working from home

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Insurance / working from home

Post by Claim to Frame »

Good evening all,

Just wondering if there were any framers operating from home in here?

I'm currently set up with a CMC amongst other framing pieces of equipment. My local insurance broker has implied only AXA provide an insurance policy that would cover both normal home insurance but with an add on for the business equipment/working from home?

Find it hard to believe there is only 1 insurance provider out there for this sort of situation.

Thanks
Dan
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Insurance / working from home

Post by pramsay13 »

I use Ian Wallace Craft Insurance.
I frame in a workshop that is in the garden so not sure if it would be different if actually in the home.
I have a normal home insurance policy that is aware I have a framing workshop, but they don't insure it.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

When I worked from home my insurance for the house was provided by NFU. When asked they quite happily provided a bolt on for the business for a small increase to my premiums (it was 7 - 11 years ago).
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would suspect that more insurance companies are likely to be considering insuring people working from home, now that so many people are working from home rather that travelling into work. Perhaps the level of cover and where you wish to do the work, might pursaude them to be more interested. Small back street garages and engineering business often operate from garages. I would guess that they are prrobably needing to be insured, so why not you.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I work from home, separate building. I've used Hiscox insurance for the last few years. Just make sure to include process cover/goods in your care, so that you're covered in case you accidentally damage a customer's piece.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Various businesses in my town have ceased trading from normal business premises, but their old premises have been taken over by new start up businesses with astonishing speed. Previously vacant premises would often remain empty for a very long time, but not since covid. There's a surprising amount of money around and people starting businesses. Lots of them are making things to sell. Some have started this while furrlowed, so they have had an income to survive on while growing their businesses.

It's not just one, or two people doing this and many of these have no exerience of running their own businesses and t's not detering them. Many are a team effort with extended families working together. Some of the remainng shops have started making things instead of buying them as the business model of buying stock in order to offereing for sale is not as easy as it once was. I would not necessarily say that it been an easy for many of them, but people are managing somehow.

Lock up work shops at the back of a large hotel at the bottom of the town have been empty for years, but not anymore. many of them have been rented out. I guessing that these could easily be referred to as small industrial units, so perhaps they would be easier to insure. The town has been suffering economically in recent years, but people are begining to go for it now and things are starting to look like things are changing a little. Some insurance companies must be offering insurance to some of these and some are definitely working from home.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I’ve been with NFU for 8 years, they have a policy which covers a combination of domestic insurance and working form home.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Post by Claim to Frame »

Thanks for the comments, gives me something to bounce back at the broker. It almost feels like they just want me to renew without them shopping around!