Turnover

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
swany
Organisation: PC framing
Interests: framing & photography

Turnover

Post by swany »

Hi Guys,

Fairly new to the site and I am currently embarking on setting up (for now) home based framing business. I know this question is like a length of string and every answer will differ from the high street shop to the back shed framer. I'm just wondering how many frame jobs per week do framers take in and how do they generate work.

- Word of mouth
It would be interesting to see the different amounts of work coming in for the different business models.
Hope I'm not being to cheeky asking.
Also how long did it take to build up the business to a level that you're happy with.

Thanks in advance
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Turnover

Post by Not your average framer »

That's quite a question and there quite a few hidden variables within that question. Every framing business is different and I not just talking about turnover, but also the factors which determine that turn over. In all of those categories, different aspcts of you business model and how you do business will have a large effect up on your actual level of turnover. You will need to fine tune at least some bits of your business model to suit what works for you, it's not a real big deal and it's not particularly a knowledge thing. There's a bit of a learning curve and it will take a little white before you get a feel for how it needs to be.

Turnover is only part of the picture, only part of it is profit and the rest is expenses. Learning to control expenses is a bit of an art and it takes a while to get you head around. It really helps to understand both you fixed overheads and your variable overheads, also what the bank balance is doing from week to week. Cash flow forecasting and bank balance management are also important skills to learn. I sort of go with the flow a bit, but I do keep an eye on what the bank balance is doing. Whether you like it or not, experience comes with time and practice and there are no short cuts.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
swany

Post by swany »

Hi Mark,

& thanks for your input. I have 10 years experience running another company so fairly ok with that side of things, more wondering about getting work in the door. I know with my other business I was a good 4 years (started during the recession) before work just came in without having to hunt for it. I'm allowing about the same amount of time for this one to get established. I see some guys with 5 or 6 staff & others are just a one man crew, just wondering how much work coming in is needed to sustain either the big crew or the one man band.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

swany wrote: Mon 20 Sep, 2021 11:28 am I'm just wondering how many frame jobs per week do framers take in and how do they generate work.
Hi swany

This is how I generate work:

- Primary source is web site as it comes top of Google searches for picture framers in my target area. It has lots of testimonials on it from satisfied customers, plus examples of my work.
- Recommendations. This takes time to build up, difficult to say how long.
- Pavement swing sign.
- Advertisements in parish magazines.
- Door-to-door leaflets.
- Craft fairs.
- Community notice boards.
- Always having business cards on me has brought unexpected results.

Social media wasn't time/cost effective for me when I gave it a fair trial but you might find otherwise.

Hope this helps, and good luck setting up your new business.

Rainbow
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I agree with Rainbow,
Website is a must, it's your shop window...especially if you are working from home, leaflet drop around your neighbourhood, can't be a bad thing
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
swany

Post by swany »

Hi Guys,

And thanks for taking the time to respond. Some good insights here. keep them coming
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I use social media and my website. No walk ins or visitors to the workshop. I don’t sell glazed frames and don’t do football shirts or needlework. Ive put up my prices and turn down a lot of work. I’ve never been busier…and I’m trying to slow down. So, in order of importance…

1. Make the most of social media, it is the most powerful and free way of reaching your chosen customer base.
2. Website. This is your shop window and it’s worth spending good money on even if you don’t sell online.
3. Develop a speciality or exploit a niche. In my case it’s exhibiting, semi-professional and professional artists and those that frame purchased art.
4. Don’t go cheap. The race to the bottom is a miserable place.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
swany

Post by swany »

Make the most of social media,

Great reply Geospectrum, and thank you certainly the model I'm thinking strongly about adapting. On you website may i ask did you build it yourself with an add on widget for ecommerce or did you get someone to build it for you

regards

PhiliP
swany

Post by swany »

Don't be "run of the mill", be something different!

I must say your passion for framing really comes across in your posts & the great advice you give, thanks again Mark

regards

Philip
swany

Post by swany »

If anyone would be good at social media you would Mark. Maybe set up a facebook page and just post photos of your work. use it as a platform to engage with customers.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Use Instagram it’s quick and easy and on your phone. Blogs are a bit old hat, Facebook also to some degree.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Regrading website I use EKM and would thoroughly recommend them for e-commerce websites.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

About 20 years 🤣