Duplicating a three year old job.

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Duplicating a three year old job.

Post by Justintime »

With all of the talk of price increases over the last few years I thought it would be interesting to mention this.
I have just had a return customer in from September 2019, wanting another photo framed to the same spec as the last.
In three years the price has increased from £88 to £95 and includes updated material costs, overheads rise and an hourly rate increase.
That's not enough to scare off any of my customers imo.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Duplicating a three year old job.

Post by Not your average framer »

Is that all? That's not a lot, when you consider that the headline rate of inflation has usually increased prices more than that!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This is what the value of the pound has been doing this year.

https://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-US ... story.html

If you normally have this moulding in stock, it might cost more when you come to reorder it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Post by Fruitini »

Seems like you might be leaving a little on the counter Justin. That’s only an 8% increase over three years whereas inflation in that time would be something like 15%.

I called up all our jobs during 2019 that we charged £88 for and there were 4! At todays prices the same orders would be priced at £133, £126, £117 and £102. The three more expensive ones are handfinished frames which we probably undercharged for in the past. The £102 frame is a simple ¾ black, mount, dry mount job, which is double again your increase.
Fruitini

Post by Fruitini »

Actually the £102 job would be £109.50 now as we didn’t used to charge for a backboard within our pricing structure but we do now.
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Good to know, thanks Fruitini.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Fruitini

Post by Fruitini »

Justintime wrote: Tue 27 Sep, 2022 10:36 am That's not enough to scare off any of my customers imo.
One of the best pieces of advice I ever took on board (which probably came from this forum…!) was if no-one ever tells you that your price is too expensive, then you aren’t charging enough! We never used to get any kickbacks on price and I never even really thought about it. If you can earn the same money from 9 jobs as you previously would doing 10, don’t be scared to lose out on the occasional sale. You’ll be just as better off and have 10% more time!!
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Agreed. We're a work from home studio business, so it's rare to lose out on a job once we have them in the door. If people ring up for a price, we don't usually hear from them again. I used to hate giving prices over the phone, but its proved to be a useful method to sort wheat from chaff!
Justin George GCF(APF)