Pricing up non-standard jobs, or knowing how long something 'should' take.

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Pricing up non-standard jobs, or knowing how long something 'should' take.

Post by WannabeFramer »

Evenin' All,

My last question on pricing had some really kind helpful people contact me, so thank you all.

I have spent a long time refining how I price up a job, and now have guide prices for general framing which is helpful when people contact me. As I am still new, I take far longer to complete a job than a veteran framer would, and know I can't charge for the actual amount of time things take me at the moment. I see it as me taking time to build up my skills while I become more proficient and I don't yet have the volume where I need to watch the clock.

I have been using the average times given for each stage on my framing software, and cross checking this with my hourly rate and costs which seems to work out OK and so most people have given me the work.

But I am unsure how to go about pricing for a 'non standard' job, that I know will take a me a long time. But I don't know how long it 'should' take so I can give a fair price. Eg, I have just framed some magazines wrapped in Mylar, and it took me far longer than expected whilst I was getting to grips with the method. I don't know how long it 'should' have taken me to make sure I price properly next time.

Is there anywhere that gives an 'average' time to complete a job? Eg, making a box frame, multiple apertures, 3d objects, encapsulation etc.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Pricing up non-standard jobs, or knowing how long something 'should' take.

Post by JFeig »

Every task cannot use the "cookie cutter" approach. Sometimes you have to give a price range, or use a time clock and charge by the hour, and lasty there is the SWAG method (guessing).
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Re: Pricing up non-standard jobs, or knowing how long something 'should' take.

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you, I’m not at the stage where I can charge by the clock yet as I tend to take a long time being ultra cautious, which if I were much more experienced I wouldn’t be as much.

Guessing - it may well be 😁