How much?!

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Underpinner
Organisation: No business
Interests: Music, painting, reading

How much?!

Post by Underpinner »

My original specification came to £59 for the 20in x 16in frame. For a 30 x 24in frame to the same spec it would be £97 (the only variable being the frame size - for the sake of comparing like with like. In practice I would probably use a stronger moulding on the larger frame, adding £3-£5). My prices do not include VAT.

Glass for the 20 x 16in and 24 x 30" frames respectively:
£2 and £5 for customer to take away.
£3 or £7 if I fit it plus, usually, an additional fitting charge of £5 upwards which might be reduced or waived if the "repair" is part of an order which includes 2-3 or more new frames.

The highest fitting charge applies to those horrible old frames which are held together by long thin nails passing diagonally through almost everything, and in which everything includes remnants of old black backing paper, backing "boards" comprising several separate shrunken and worm-eaten pieces of wood, old and almost completely faded gold slips, worm-eaten "mounts" plus a kilo or two of dust, soot and biological remains, not to mention the wondrous mix of old and remarkably effective tapes and deposits of glue (seemingly applied originally with a trowel). The hanging fittings in such cases are usually well corroded and no longer fit for purpose even if origially they might once have done justice to the task of joining British Rail rolling stock, and not forgetting a generous helping of best binder twine from the days when that too was a relatively new innovation.

Obviously in such cases one tries to suggest a new frame but...
John Williams
kj

Post by kj »

i charge 30 euro per sq m , "take away " price .100 euro per sq m fitted .
that means ,for a 24"x30" ( 610mm x 760mm ) , 13.91 or 46.36 espectively . i always give the customer the option and explain the reasons behind the price difference . if they have a problem they can take it away , make a mess , and they'll pay the next time. also , the minimum reglazing charge is 15 euro .
artfulfox
Organisation: Artful Fox
Interests: Music, natural history and extreme ironing ;-)

Post by artfulfox »

Hello, I've just registred this evening having stumbled accross this forum in an attempt to find out more information on purchaing a Morso. I'm just starting out as a framer, having been taken under the wing of a retiring framer. I've found your forum to be brilliant (although far too many threads to keep on top of for a first sitting!). In particular, I've read this pricing thread from its inception to present day. Its certainly given me some great tips on how I should price my framing. I'm sorry I can't give a quote for a 16"x20" framing job yet, but hope that in the future I can contribute more insightful comments!

Clare.
markw

Post by markw »

welcome to the forum Clare. hope we can be of some help as you start out.
artfulfox
Organisation: Artful Fox
Interests: Music, natural history and extreme ironing ;-)

Post by artfulfox »

thanks Mark!

Clare
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

... hello Artful :)

trouble imho with take-away glass: if they have a bigger piece, is that you have to be very careful packaging it, usually sandwiched between MDF so they can get it home on the bus without leaving a trail of blood, ears, fingers etc in their wake.
Two sheets of thick MDf pretty much cost the same as a sheet of glass round these parts ... which racks up the cost. Sometimes we wrap it in corrugated cardboard off the roll

of course these days there are the elf 'n dafty (Health and safety) implications of presenting people with a sheet of glass then turning them loose on the streets eith it... As anyone who works with glass knows, that stuff can kill you. We framers (or glaziers) maybe dont realise it, as we are working with 4x3 or larger sheets of 2mm all day, but a half decent size sheet presents quite a scary problem for some people carrying it away.

Ideally we try to encourage them to bring the frame in, even if they dont want it fitted and sealed up, so that they have something safer to carry it away in, and to get the measurements right as well.

pricing:
20x16 2mm float "to go" = about a fiver - aim to get about £20 out of a sheet of 2mm float. 2mm Mirror 20x16 about £10 - aim to get £40 or £50 out of a sheet of 2mm mirror.
3mm mirror 20x16 £15

To fit it would be about £10 or £15 depending on what had to come apart, vacuum the old glass out, clean up, re-seal, fresh fittings and cord etc. - eg £5 to £10 to fit it, allowing 15 to 30 minutes. More of a customer service than a money spinner.