Pricing for multi-aperture mounts

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Pricing for multi-aperture mounts

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

I add on another £1 for each additional aperture per mount (i.e. £2 on double mounts). Sometimes I wish I charged more. I was wondering how much others charge and how I compare.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I'd charge more than that. Probably around £3 for the second opening and £1 - £2 for each additional one after the second.

The first window is pretty straightforward -- just set the measurement on the Ultimat and cut.

The second opening means measuring and marking-up the mat and, in my case, finding the Logan cutter that I prefer to use for multiple openings.

Of course, if I had a CMC...
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

We also add on a £1 for each extra aperture. That on top of the £9.50 chargeable for a 20" x 16" mount for example + v.a.t. Keeping the cut-outs until they fall below say 8"x 10" and become waste. It's surprising how much you can squeeze out of a sheet of mountboard if the cut-outs and off-cuts are stored properly and methodically.
Measure twice - cut once
markw

Post by markw »

Don't underestimate the cost of having a cmc - yes cutting multi apps is easy - But you have to set up the mount on the PC - and if its complicated this takes time. You also have the payback cost of an expensive bit of kit. So cutting on the cmc is easy but you are looking to claw back cost so i doubt that sensibly priced extra aperatures are in reality any cheaper to cut.

I charge £1 per extra square/oblong app - this goes up for angled - shaped or embellished cuts depending on set up time.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

As far back as I can remember --- thats over 20 years as a framer -- the charge for an additional opening, here in the US has been $4.00 (­£2) or there abouts for framers in large metro areas.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com