Transport

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Transport

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I'm investigating a suitable vehicle for transporting finished frames, which would be suitable for fitting out internally etc. The Volvo V70 I have is fine for small frames but cannot really handle the bigger stuff and there is always the chance of damage. I guess I’m looking for a small panel van or similar, a bit like the once Wessex uses to deliver, only smaller. Does anyone here have any experience of this?

Thanks

Alan
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Transport

Post by Merlin »

I Have a Peugeot Expert, 2.0 HDI.

Superb panel van. Sliding doors on both side, plus double opening doors at the back.
We have the separate seats in the front. Not the usual drivers plus bench seat.
Drives like a car and returns 45 mpg on a long run.

I like my Pug.
John GCF
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

An artist customer of mine uses a Ford Transit Connect Diesel and he has lined the load area with carpet tiles and secures items with those stretchy things with hooks on each end (bungies?). This van replaced a Range Rover!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Most modern cars are like little space podules and have so many sticky-out plastic bits inside that they are totaly carp at carrying anything big and flat.

If you don't want to go the van route, the VW Caravel is a dream for frames. I once made a frame to actually fit in one. It was 7'6" long. :D The artist who it belonged to made a platform to fit inside so it lifted it off the deck. Then he packed about 20 more frames underneath. Some of those were quite big too. The Renault Espace was also good. Take the seats out and you could hold a dance inside.

Best car I had for frames (and other framing stuff was a 80's model Granada estate. I also had a Range Rover and had 1000ft of moulding in it once. That was the 'Classic' body shape. The newer ones are not so good for packing stuff in.
Got a Discovery now (Series 2) That's quite capacious. Had a dismantled Excalibur in it, plus a CS88 underpinner, about 500ft of moulding plus various other kelter and could still see out the back window.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I have a Citroen Berlingo, so perhaps a little smaller than you are looking at, but I find it great for collecting and dropping off paintings/frames. It came ply-lined with the floor and wheel arches covered in carpet. Most of the galleries/dealers I do work for use Volvos.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

my mate has a new shape top of the range range rover, first time he put a 10Ft length in when he slammed the back door, it shoved the length straight through the front windscreen

now imagine how much that cost to get repaired!!!!!!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I wouldn't bother, I'd just write the moulding off.