Vans - buy? hire? new? old?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Vans - buy? hire? new? old?

Post by CalicoFraming »

Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting a van for the business and am wondering whether it's best to buy a used van, a new one on finance, or contract hire. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks!
stcstc

Re: Vans - buy? hire? new? old?

Post by stcstc »

a lease is totally tax deductable, purchase has to be depreciated

but lease means an overhead, purchase is a capital cost
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We bought a new van because we knew we would keep it longer than 3 years and because the VW Transporter that we chose retains its value so well so that when we do decide to get another one we should have a good value in the old van to set against the cost.

My brother in law, who changes his van every 3 years, sometimes slightly earlier, and who always goes for the Mercedes one has always bought in the past but has now gone on a lease basis because he says in the 3 years he will keep it that will save him money and hassle but he does have mileage limits etc which will up the cost if he exceeds them.

I suppose it really depends on whether you will change it regularly or not and what your annual mileage will be.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
prospero

Post by prospero »

Leasing looks attractive and can make good sense. But leasing companies can tend to vanish suddenly but finance companies never do. :?

So if there is any form of guarantee/ maintainence agreement attached to the deal, if may not be worth a heck of a lot.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks guys, I think I'll have to talk to my accountant.

To be honest, I only really want it as a mobile advertising hoarding (decals etc) - is it worth it for this I wonder?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

CalicoFraming wrote:To be honest, I only really want it as a mobile advertising hoarding (decals etc)
In that case, it sounds like a secondhand van in reasonable condition might be the cheaper solution.

Local car auctions?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

BTW, Jo mentioned the VW transporter. These are really solidly made vehicles and don't usually give much trouble even when they are older. I used to have one and they are built like tanks!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

We just have graphics on our second car, the business car, and that's worked for us as regards advertising in the local area. We even drove it around Cornwall earlier this year, strangely we haven't had any business from it but lots of people noticed on the ferry going across.

A van is though on our wish list for the future.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
prospero

Post by prospero »

Don't want to put daft ideas in your head, but....

http://www.fleurdelys.sitew.com/fs/Fleu ... r_GB_2.pdf

:lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Yeah, thanks Peter! :Slap:

actually been checking out some vans on t'internet and quite fancy look of new peugeot bipper or citroen nemo - a guy nearby has one all branded up and it looks really smart. I figure the monthly leasing cost won't be great deal more than the monthly maintenance on my 10 year old Rover 75, and so all it needs to do is bring in a couple more frames a week and it's paid for itself. But will definitely check with the accountant - my financial logic has been known to be flawed in the past :?

Thanks for the replies everyone