Trading from home

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Trading from home

Post by Not your average framer »

I doubt if you would need a trade waste bin at all. There are guidelines about how to do this and how to avoid requiring a trade waste bin. Start by talking to "Business link", or your local enterprise support organisations.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

If you need to make a decent living you need to minimise any costs and maximise any profit, working from home is a good place to start and many framers do it this way (including me), and don’t go looking for ways of spending money, there will be plenty of expenses that you can't avoid. A business plan, good quality tools, skills, enough workspace and finding customers is what you need to concentrate on. If waste disposal becomes a problem then that will be because you are generating enough business for it to become a problem, worry about it then.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Paul Hayward
Organisation: none yet...
Interests: not sure anymore ha ha

Post by Paul Hayward »

i did chuckle to myself about it last night..... im just a bit of a worrier....or WAS in a previous life :lol: ...this is a total new start for us ..just myself and my wife, my wife loves photography and i love making the finished products so we will be a great team 8) ..and worry about the small bit of rubbish once the bins full :lol:

my cousin came round yesterday to advise me on splitting the garage up a bit... ( a little batcave for me and nice camera room for my wife...will be great!...got all the gear in storage so we just got to get the work areas sorted PRONTO, got our marketing heads on and have loads of ideas on how to continue to get work...just a bit different to what we were used to.... no more HUGE wage bill to find, vat, paye....were off to a great head start already! we will be taking pictures of friends and family over the next week or so then we can get a first mini brochure designed and made and get the ball rolling...early march we hope to be ready to OPEN :shock: 8) ....that first customer (along with all of them ) are going to be SO special to us 8)

we believer that with just 3 or 4 clients a week we will be able to make it worth while and build on that.... not afraid of hard work..and in fact i strive on it for the Buzz ....were both getting excited for the future now,,....we have the hope again 8)

with our low overheads we will be able to more or less cut our current prices in half and still make a profit..EVERYONE wins...going to make it as easy as we can for the few clients were aiming at to buy as much as they like :lol: ......we know what our average order will need to be and generally what the most popular product s are so will be able to get the average order target tied in with one or 2 special offers :D ...we will try it and see..tweek things around as we go i am sure...but all the basics i think are covered........ we find out in March :lol:

thanks again for all your advice everyone!...will keep you posted
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Hi Paul
If i already had the workshop i would just go for it,
I am planing on putting up a 17ft X 19ft building for the job so will need to get the correct permission as it will cost a lot of money for the council to come and say its a no no and you have to take it down,
I am waiting for permission now and hopefully will get started in march/april,
Will look forward to setting it up to my spec and insulating it correctly so its nice to work in over the winter.
Good luck
Dave
Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward »

cheers Dave..well we got the garage..was built for a car though :lol: .....its just the permission bit thats gonna wait...all fingers crossed for you too and i will be keen to hear how it all goes for you too!

keep us posted Dave 8)
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

One of our local photographers works from her home and she has an "A" Board outside all the time except when she goes on holiday. She doesn't get much framed, but does have quite a few mounts cut.

She uses the inside of her house for settings and she has a woodland at the back and often takes her customers into the woodland for natural location shots :shock:
Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward »

thats all ok as long as its not raining..and raining ..and raining...horrible out today :(
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Paul is the garage insulated?
Dave
Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward »

yep all insulated well, were also going to plasterboard the walls,and lay vynl flooring which will help with warming it a little but there is also a radiator in the hallway which we will join into and put through to the camera room so will be nice n cozy 8) ....its my room that will be "chilly" :lol: