Taking Card Payments with iZettle ?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Taking Card Payments with iZettle ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Has anyone heard of iZettle ? it allows you to receive credit card payments with a card reader that plugs into your iPhone or iPad :clap:
No monthly payments, ideal for a sole trader/small buisness I would have thought. I've been saying I'm going to get a card reader for over a year, this seems like an easy way of doing it without getting tied into a contract.
https://www.izettle.com/gb/

Is anyone actually using it, looks pretty cool :rock:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Roboframer

Re: Taking Card Payments with iZettle ?

Post by Roboframer »

A contract may not be a bad thing depending on your usage - just like mobile phones maybe?

https://www.izettle.com/gb/pricing

2.75% transaction fee - that's not good, not good at all.

A review that concurs - bear in mind that this is within seconds of reading this topic http://www.cardprocessing.co.uk/izettle ... od-anyone/
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

It does look good and I have one.... never used it but it was free. It's a great alternative to renting a card machine if you only take a couple of card payments a month.... but useless if your client has a Mastercard.

Check these out.... Payleven. Takes ALL Cards... One off payment for a wireless/bluetooth reader with a flat 2.7%. Like I said not too bad if you have to take very few card payments.

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=da4 ... 42e2af374c

I have educated all my clients to pay by bank transfer... simples! :clap:
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Ah "clients" - if you has "clients" you is, like, POSH -innit!

I have customers meself, about 60 per day on average and when I goes shopping I class myself as a customer too; not a client, no! If I was a client I'd be turning up by appointment, in a suit, to discuss some very important deal ... not just buy summut, thank you!

Peeps like to pay by card - make it easy and don't penalise - simples. (FFS)
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

You can get quotes from the card prossesing company's and get the price right down by playing them against each other , some like RMS have other stuff included in the rental, like tax inspection insurance . my accountant offers this and it's about the same as half the rental on my machine.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

Robo... I'm not a shop it's all done via the tinternet so cards are not an option... got a great relationship with them all too. They are all returning buyers so they don't mind doing business that way. Never had a problem... yet :giggle:

Still got the odd one settling their account by cheque though :head:
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Most of our account customers also pay by bacs, again if your with the right bank this is a free transaction, free is good some banks charge 35p. With Santander all our transactions are free, we usually get a few pence back in interest each month rather than being charged, we used to be with HSBC, bank charges were up to £150 per month.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I've been considering getting a card terminal but have put it off so far because most people are happy to pay by cash or cheque, so far, and I don't have the volume for it to be an issue. I like to offer alternatives though so this might be an option for me dispite the fees. Arent they about the same as PayPal?

Does anyone know if you can do "customer not present" transactions on these devices?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

you can also get cheaper deals buy taking terminal rental direct from the manufacturer. we do this now from VERIFONE and using our existing merchant provider.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Its just been confirmed to me that no, you can't customer not present transactions on IZettle.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

I would use it if the customer could use a Visa card hassle free :(
Anything Framed
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I read that the visa issue has been solved, but I'd still prefer chip and pin rather than a signature.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

I must admit, when I was reading up on this last night, I was only thinking that I could now justify getting mini-iPad to use with iZettle. For occassional use it's an idea but no good if you do a load of transactions a month on it.

Perhaps I'll invest in one of the rubber stamps with my name on it to stamp the customer's cheque book :clap: now that would impress them !
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

could use your pen tool on cmc to sign em too

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have not decided whether I will use it, but I'm considering this system. https://www.judopay.com/

You don't need a card reader, or anything at all, except for a mobile phone. Your customer phones Judopay on their own mobile phone and when prompted keys in the unique Judopay number for your business followed by the amount that they want to pay and both your customer and you get a text message on your respective mobile phones telling you both that the transaction has been completed.

It works with Visa and Mastercard, plus there is no PCI compliance issues because Judopay do all that in house. When the money has cleared into your account, you just go online and transfer the money into your own bank account, or where ever you want to transfer it to!

There are two videos on the above weblink. I do not use the system myself and don't know any more about it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

thats sounds really complicated and reckon it would put of lots of customers
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You could be right, I dunno!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

The whole idea of running a business is to make it easy as possible for your customer to pay you.

No point placing hurdles in their way.z
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I went with a chip and pin machine in December through my bank barclays so prob not the cheapest but convenient and reliable. Now when speaking potential customers on the phone and who come in, being able to say we take card payments has been brilliant for my business. I think that people expect to be able to pay by card these days. I record the number of phone enquiries and the percentage that turn into business, and this percentage has increased considerably since January.

This may be a coincidence of course but I don't think it is. Will continue to monitor the ratios.

I agree that you need to make payment as straightforward as possible and also using something a retail customer is used to using.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

When I sold my Ultimate Gold, the chap who bought it paid via PayPal at the sales desk. He just went on line and paid. As you can use PayPal without an account you could take payment from customers using their card via The PayPal website. Has anyone tried that?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing