Business use class

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Business use class

Post by ChrisG »

What are we if purely framing A1?

There are some offices near me up for a new lease that would make a good framing workshop, above a shop but with its own separate entrance, do I need planning permission for change of use, if so am I likely to get it?
Vince442
Organisation: Alchemy Art & Framing Ltd
Interests: Art, photography, architecture, bonsai, travelling

Re: Business use class

Post by Vince442 »

You would need to speak to the local planning office. They will be able to tell you exactly what class use you come under. I would guess it will be either A1 or B1 (class III).

Change of use is permitted, if needed, if...

"Changes of use within a specific class do not require planning permission provided that: the use subsists; the planning permission has been implemented; and no restrictive condition is attached to the consent "
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Might be worth checking your glass supplier is happy to carry full sheets up the stairs!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Might be worth checking your glass supplier is happy to carry full sheets up the stairs!

Very good point J2M
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

At the last place where we started, we were upstairs and the first few times the supplier did bring them up, but as the quantity increased he refused quoting "health & safety"

It will be a real pain working upstairs, but it would be good exercise - once you have managed to get the machines up there!! :shock:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I had a second floor workshop once ....... but that's another storey.
FFrames
Organisation: TBD
Interests: Art

Post by FFrames »

I'm looking at various properties to set up shop myself at the moment and have seen a good building, but it's classed for B1 use only.

Does anyone know if I could legally use this for framing business if it was not open to the public? i.e/ customers would be required to make an appoitment to enter. If so, could I just simply put a doorbell on the door and allow 'guests :wink: ' to come in?

Obviously it would be nicer if I just found a shop, but this building is rather nice.. and cheap!.. I dont reeally want to go through the hassle of getting planning consent and then getting charged more rent after granted.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Not too sure about the appointment/ring for service idea - there's a gallery near me that I always liked (from the shop front anyway), recently I had a bit of spare time so I thought I'd take a look inside ...... you had to buzz some silly bell that I couldn't hear errr, buzz and after waiting about 40 seconds I left and I'm not going back. I wouldn't mind waiting if the sun was in my back but when I'm getting hammered by rain reinforced with gale winds my patience wasn't at it's height.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

There is a gallery near me with a bell push, next to the bell push is a notice which says "ring it once and I'll answer, ring it twice and I'll tell you to p*ss off".

Yorkshire customer service at its best.
FFrames
Organisation: TBD
Interests: Art

Post by FFrames »

I spoke with a commercial agent yesterday and he said that it's not a problem to use a B1 premises as a 'shop' if all customers are invited in. With a bell, you are essentially inviting people in, so their shouldn't be a problem with the local authority. Not the ideal solution, but defineitly workable... It depends if you rely on the passing trade too!
Franc
Organisation: Abbey Framing
Interests: Sailing, cycling, framing.

Post by Franc »

Recently visited a second floor gallery in London. The front door said Pull so I pulled it and went through to another door that said Push so I pushed it and arrived at another sign that said Lift. Tried to but buggered my back!