Can you identify this moulding?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Hannahframer
Organisation: Framed@Hannah's
Interests: Picture framing, photography, playing piano & guitar (not at the same time!), reading, walking

Can you identify this moulding?

Post by Hannahframer »

Hello fellow framers!

When I took over this workshop I inherited a lot of frames, many of which I consider to be of second quality, so when time permits I refurbish them and sell them off. I have one such frame on a shelf almost hidden from view but today one of my customers spotted it and said "that moulding is perfect for my oil painting" which she'd bought in to be reframed. Blast! So I've been trying to identify the maker/supplier but without any luck (and with help from my friend & framer Mark Lacey). So I wondered if anyone out there might have come across it or something close.

I think it's oak (solid), 1" deep on the outside, and about 2.25" wide, rebate is 20mm which is what I need for framing the canvas. I'll need around 3m to do the job. I've looked in Simons, Rose & Hollis, Wessex, Frintons, & Arqadia.

Cheers!

G.
Attachments
Oak moulding to be identified.
Oak moulding to be identified.
oak-moulding.gif (388.2 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
"Industry without art is brutality." - John Ruskin.
Roboframer

Re: Can you identify this moulding?

Post by Roboframer »

I don't know of any finished solid oak mouldings that wide so you'd probably have to find it unfinished and match the finish yourself, but if Rose & Hollis don't do it you've probably had it!
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Don't recognise that one, it could be from Piaf 2 or Norfolk Mouldings.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've not seen it either. :(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Norfolk 117 is pretty close profile wise but only 1 3/4" wide. Outside is 1" but rebate only 12mm deep, although I don't quite see how the rebate on your example can be 20mm deep if the outside is 1" :?

I think Lion did a similar moulding ages ago? but discontinued it, it came in a couple of timbers as well...

Piaf don't have anything that close, but 1125 is similar, and 2" x 1"
Hannahframer
Interests: Picture framing, photography, playing piano & guitar (not at the same time!), reading, walking

Post by Hannahframer »

Thanks very much for your help, folks. I guess I'll have to persuade her to take something else!

G.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Having now seen the picture, after only hearing it verbally described over the phone, I now realise that I have seen that moulding somewhere before, but the annoying thing is trying to remember when, or where.

Having had time to think about this, I think that I've seen this moulding in a couple of galleries in Cornwall and this makes me wonder if it might be a moulding from Papworth Joinery, who from memory are in the Cambourne / Redruth area. That is if they are still around these days!

I haven't had contact with them for quite a long time, so who knows!

BTW, Grahame,

If you need to have a look at a Piaf 2 catalogue, I've got one! From the 2007 price list, it can be seen that their range included almost 1,300 different barewood profiles. Who knows, they've probably added some more since then!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi G,

Would your customer be happy with three oak mouldings stacked together to make an almost identical profile?

If so, I think that this can be made to work! It's not exactly the same in every detail, but I would say that it is as close as makes no odds. Even the width will match your dimensions!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Hannahframer

Post by Hannahframer »

Hi Mark,

It might be worth a try! Let me know what you have in mind. Thanks for thinking about it. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!

Graham.
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

hello Graham

can get cutters made for this and reproduce in short runs

in oak, ash , obeche or tulip
would this be something you can stock after or is it a one off
Hannahframer

Post by Hannahframer »

The mystery is solved! As I was idly thumbing through the Lion catalogue it dawned on me that I hadn't checked them for this moulding, don't know why, and lo! It came to pass that there on page 112 was L931, the moulding I was looking for. :clap: The week's got off to a good start!