Morso Cutting Problem

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Smiffy
Organisation: Frame
Interests: Wood, glass & v-nails

Morso Cutting Problem

Post by Smiffy »

Afternoon all,

Ok, we're having some issues with our Morso. It has a pair of newly sharpened (genuine) blades on, which are both sat on the machine flush, and pass through the fence enough to give a clean cut on the back edge.

We're cutting an oak moulding, which we use regularly and have no problems with. However, since we have these blades on, the problem has started.

When cutting this moulding (Arqadia 114 200 000), which is pretty hard going, the motion of pressing the pedal down appears to be 'spongy' on the last cut, making it difficult to press the pedal all the way home. Once the wood is cut and we're onto the pinner, we're being met with a nice gap at the sight edge side of about 1-1.5mm.

I know that the usual issue causing gaps is the rebate support position, but they are both sat in the correctly.

I think this spongy feeling on the last cut is causing the problem, I just cant diagnose it!

Any ideas?
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: Morso Cutting Problem

Post by YPF »

I always cut this moulding upside down - it removes any issues with rebate supports.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
yorkframing
Organisation: York Framing Studio
Interests: Photography & Astronomy

Post by yorkframing »

I always cut this one upside down, not sure if that will help but worth a go?

Cheers
Steve
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Cheers Gents, cutting upside down on this is certainly a better way of doing it (fuming that I hadn't realised that before having to be told!). Seems to have taken the sponginess away too... Only thing left to ask, when cutting it upside down, I'm still being left with a minor gap on the inside of the mitre - any way of preventing?

Thanks again!
DavidJarvis
Organisation: Framers service
Interests: Reading, computer software and hardware.
Customer Service

Post by DavidJarvis »

Is the tooth on your ratchet handle worn?.
Other thing to check is wether the travel on the blades is set too low.
This is adjusted on the two nuts on the long connecting rod at the back of the machine. It connects to the y upside down y piece.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Hey David - how are you?

The teeth and arm are both less than 12 months old, and as such are pretty immaculate.

I think I've found the problem with regards to the 'spongy' feeling on the last and second to last cuts... It seems we have been treated to our blades being flat ground opposed to hollow. I've never cut with flat ground blades before, and to be honest didn't even consider the grinding might have be.

See attached photo of simple experiment! Left side mitre cut with flat ground blades, right side mitre cut with (blunt-ish) hollow ground blades. Amazing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 2730 times