bent corner on mount

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

bent corner on mount

Post by caro »

Good afternoon, hope someone may have a tip, I've tried cutting mounts out of jumbo board in the past and it's been a struggle in my limited space (and I'm not exactly tall) so I ordered one, it's actually a double mount, the two mounts are stuck together - there is a slight crushing on one corner, it's taken over 2 weeks to get here so I don't want to spend ages waiting for another one. It's not big damage but the alumin frame only has a 3mm rebate. Any suggestions of any way to smooth it out? thanks. Caro how do you get pictures in the posts?
Graysalchemy

Re: bent corner on mount

Post by Graysalchemy »

I think you would be lucky to get them out. I would get the supplier to replace them or get your money back and find a supplier who can do it quicker. 2 weeks seems a long time in this day and age.
caro
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Post by caro »

Thanks for your reply Graysalchemy. I knew I'd have trouble with this job, 3mm rebate indeed. who ever devised such a ridiculous constraint!
I was hoping there'd be an answer along the lines of ' apply a drop of distilled water, leave it overnight, burnish it in the morning with a piece of agate and all your wrinkles will be dissolved'.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

caro wrote:...how do you get pictures in the posts?
Can't help with your wrinkles :lol: but can help with including a photo in your posts.
post.jpg
post.jpg (128.98 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
caro

Post by caro »

[attachment=0]frames BX 023.JPG[/attachment thanks David, this is a photo of the crushed corner
]
Attachments
frames BX 023.JPG
frames BX 023.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 6305 times
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

cant you cut a few mm of the mount all around so the damage is under the rebate.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Hi caro,

A good suggestion from theframer, but your main problem is a corner you can't hide! That is some big overcut(s) on the bevel there mate :oops: I would sent it back and ask for a refund as Graysalchemy suggested.

There are folk on this forum who supply mounts by post, perhaps one will come forward and offer you a proper professional job :D
frames-BX-023.jpg
frames-BX-023.jpg (57.05 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
caro

Post by caro »

Thanks for responses the framer and David. Good point on the over cut, so, what with that, the damage And the fact that the mounts have kindly been stuck together meaning I'll have hassle taking them apart to fit the spacer, sigh, I feel justified in asking for a refund. Trimming the edge is not an option as its already a narrowish border and the alumini frame has 3mm rebate. There's also another dodgy aspect to this frame job I wonder if anyone has a solution... the LE print was rolled and despite being flattened for over two weeks is still bowing out, the signature and print numbers are right near the edge of the paper so the mount is only just covering the paper by a few mm not helping much. I thought of putting print in hot press to flatten but it's slightly bigger than the DM boards. Any advice on flattening LE prints anyone or alternative thinkings would be gratefully received.
caro

Post by caro »

Just found a previous thread on flattening le prints. W h at a treasure filled joy this forum is.!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I would either ask for a replacement ( and quick turnaround) or a re-fund, on the question of the double mount being stuck together, did you ask the supplier for them to be separate as you wanted to place a spacer between them, otherwise it is normal practice to stick the mounts together on double mounts.
On the issue of the curly print, you are not helping yourself if you are using a spacer
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
caro

Post by caro »

Thanks for your interest Steve N, I suppose there was a misunderstanding with the mount - I phoned and asked for 2 mounts, same size but one with 5 mm smaller aperture, gave sizes and said its for a double mount, didn't occur to me that they would fix the two mounts together - I'm the framer, that's my job, also I have reason to believe they have used double sided tape - I like to add a few drops of pva to overcome possible failure of the self-adhesive stuff - especially where one of the two mounts is slightly smaller than the other; which is the case here... obv this has happened to me before!... I have now told supplier I want a refund and I've found a local supplier from whom I can collect 2 new large mounts tomorrow hurray! and at half the price of the first supplier, more hurrays.

By spacer, perhaps I used the wrong term, I meant shadow mount, the top mount will have a strip of foam core, slightly narrower than the width of the mount border, between it and the bottom mount, how this is giving myself extra probs?

(When all's said and done it's about communication init?)
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Glad you have sorted it, well the supplying side of it, I most probably would have supplied it stuck together, unless you had explained about the spacers. I agree about the pva glue if you are using a box frame and the mount is set at the back of the frame, but if using a normal frame where the glass is against the top mount, well those mounts aren't going anywhere, so I would only use double sided tape.

Making problems for yourself, I meant if you were using what I thought was a spacer, say about 10mm deep, then that would have had to be at lest 20 to 25mm away from the window under the top mount so as not seen, and as you have a curly print with only a few mm of the under mount covering the edge of the print, there would not be much pressure on the under mount to hold down the print, but as you are using foamcore and floating the top mount by a few mm, then it's not too much of a problem
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Steve N wrote: if using a normal frame where the glass is against the top mount, well those mounts aren't going anywhere, so I would only use double sided tape.
I wouldn't!

The contents of a frame do not squeeze in, there is play and so there should be. If the DS tape fails - and it probably will in time - the mounts can move and even if just slightly, it'll show. I always use adhesive with just a few very small strips of DS tape to hold while it dries.

Standard Operating Procedure here is if it will show if it fails - don't rely on DS tape!

pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I agree with John. I started using dabs of PVA glue as well as tape when I got one back where the undermount had slipped down behind. It only had 5mm or so to fall but that was the width of undermount showing so looked horrendous.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Sorry I agree to differ, usual example coming up, I have framed pictures at home from when I first started framing , over 25 years ago, most with double mounts, yet none have moved or come apart :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Always glue mine, mainly because my ds machine many years ago was a PITA (and probably still is). Conservation PVA for conservation jobs and copydex for anything else (mainly because it grips very quickly) but obviously totally unacceptable for conservation with all that ammonia off gassing. :giggle: :giggle:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't think I've had anything of my own at home fail, but here at the shop - and the one before this, I certainly have, and I've also had stuff brought back that has failed, the worst being about 20 football shirts (not all at once) where the spacers had fallen in to the frame.

Nothing has failed/been returned since I stopped using DS tape by itself.

PVA makes a better bond than self-adhesive tape, that is a fact - self adhesive tape is also best burnished on (pressure-sensitive) and you cannot burnish through mount board, so it's not being used to best effect anyway. Oh, and PVA (etc ... wet adhesive) is far cheaper than DS tape.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Robo wrote
"had stuff brought back that has failed, the worst being about 20 football shirts (not all at once) where the spacers had fallen in to the frame.

Nothing has failed/been returned since I stopped using DS tape by itself.

PVA makes a better bond than self-adhesive tape, that is a fact - self adhesive tape is also best burnished on (pressure-sensitive) and you cannot burnish through mount board, so it's not being used to best effect anyway. Oh, and PVA (etc ... wet adhesive) is far cheaper than DS tape."

I don't disagree with using both on spacers and the such, it's only on normal double mounts that are against the glass that I do not bother with PVA/Wet Glue to bond the two mounts together, as I said there is nowhere for the mounts to move. But I have taken some frames apart and the two mount are completely loose not D/S tape or Glue , seem to remember seeing some framer's video on their website showing them framing a picture, and putting it altogether and they didn't use anything to stick the mounts together, can't remember if it was a forum member or not, anyway it's another good reason not to believe everything you see or read on the interweb
Steve CEO GCF (020)

misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

For postal double mounts we never stick them together. Two reasons: One is the one John alludes to which is that the double sided will fail in time. The second is that you dont really know if they are going to be used as double mounts. Some of the clever ones work out that it is slightly cheaper to buy a double mount and use them as two singles, plus of course it may not properly fit in their frame.

Turnaround should be around 24 to 48 hours for postal mounts and of course under the distance selling regulations the supplier has little come back, despite them being "bespoke". Packaging is key with postal mounts
caro

Post by caro »

wow this post has rocked on. thanks for all the helpful points.