Dust Cover

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
lansonframe
Organisation: Southgate Studios
Interests: Photography , Art , Art reproduction

Dust Cover

Post by lansonframe »

Does anyone know where I can find some black dust cover linen?
Have had to replace glass and mounts for a local art collector who bought these pieces in the US - they have been finished with this linen and would like to try and do the same.
Recall that Lion used to sell something a few years back but there's nothing in there latest catalogue?

Any ideas ?
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Dust Cover

Post by David McCormack »

Try ooogling buckram book cloth. Don't know how you would adhere it to the back of the frame... maybe something like Evacon-R?

Here's one place that does it:

http://www.ratchford.co.uk/subcategoryd ... spx?id=224
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've never heard of fabric being used as a dust cover, mainly, I suppose, because most fabrics are not dust proof :?

In the US they use "Kraft paper" mostly but also stuff like Tyvek for higher end work. I suppose if you seal the frame up the UK (best) way then you could add a cosmetic fabric cover.
lansonframe
Organisation: Southgate Studios
Interests: Photography , Art , Art reproduction

Post by lansonframe »

Thanks for the replies
Looks like this is a cosmetic touch more than dust protection.
Was looking at using a kraft paper as an alternative but will also look at the buckram option too :D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to be a bookbinder at one time, so I can tell you that bookcloths are starch filled to fill in any gaps in the weave, so therefore they should be completely dust proof.

Buckram is one on the most expensive varieties of bookcloth because it is produced for extended use and durability and is also dyed all the way through the fabric. Some buckrams are also waterproof on the outside face.

If you want a nice cheap bookcloth, the you might consider Reliance bookcloth which is a lighter weith fabric and is dyed only on one side.

You might like to look at Russell Bookcrafts in Thockington, Hertfordshire, or Hewit and sons in Edinborough
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

The other bookbinding suppliers is Shepherds, behind Victoria station.