vinyl record

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

vinyl record

Post by muffinski »

Hello can anyone suggest a good method for framing a vinyl record please, not the album cover but the actual record. I would want the process to be reversable leaving the record in tact.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: vinyl record

Post by pramsay13 »

I haven't done one, but what about some kind of plastic washer (I have one in my tool box for some reason) that you fix onto the middle of the mountboard, to hold the record in place. Then it can just sit on top of the mountboard, and frame as normal around that with spacers to give you depth.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Hello Pramsay, the problems I have had with this method is that the record can then turn or move and it starts getting complicated with spacers and how to secure the washer, bolt etc.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Couple of circular mounts, one smaller that the other, robo calls it a platform mount, either that or encapsulate in that clear stuff(name escapes me just now) mylar? with wings passed through the backing mount?
markw

Post by markw »

reverse bevel circular mount cut to just grip edge of record works.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

do you remember these posts

Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

:D I have tried these and even on a double mount they touch the glass, good shout though I might try the reverse bevel idea although I have been using a square window.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If you use some sort of stud you don't need an aperture mount, double or otherwise. just a rebate spacer.

There are plenty of popper buttons that could be used and if spinning is a problem you could add a disc of felt or something behind the record.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Roboframer wrote:. just a rebate spacer.
http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/FrameT ... 205,0.aspx

is this the sort of thing you mean John?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Econospace is very good but only comes in clear, black & white and also only in a few depths. I use foam board spacers which usually cost nothing as they are from skinny offcuts I'd otherwise toss. 5mm comes in black or white or you can line it, or 3mm foam board, with any colour mount board you like, which again can be from skinny offcuts you'd otherwise toss.

This is about 30mm deep - couldn't do that with econospace - well maybe you could in a few layers and then lined, but that would be a bit extravagant not to mention tricky.
Attachments
done%20001.JPG
done%20001.JPG (116.41 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Thanks for the example, foam board makes a lot of sense and a whole bunch cheaper too.
Milky
Organisation: is not what I'm good at.
Interests: Framing?

Post by Milky »

Just finished framing a rather valuable lp acetate. The customer didn't want the edges covered and didn't want it sticking in place in case it needed to be removed. Normally, if it's ok with the customer, I'll stick the lp in place with some acid free silicone but acetate's are very fragile compared to normal lp's so if it was stuck in place it could quite easily be broken if it was to be removed. My solution...a plastic nut and bolt that are used for attaching car number plates. Being plastic, the bolt can easily be cut down flush with the nut and the nut fits nicely within the depth of 5mm foam board. Looks good too! It cost me £1.50 for 4 nuts and bolts from my local car accessory shop but you can buy large packs online that work out a lot cheaper.
Framing is all about cutting corners
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Good tip Milky
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)