Dry Mounting to MDF

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Glimpse

Dry Mounting to MDF

Post by Glimpse »

I've just framed a series of prints for an architect, supplied to me printed on high gloss photo paper. I hinge-mounted them in the usual manner, but in the stark light of his home, you can see slight undulations in the paper. It doesn't help that he chose anti-reflective glass!
I've offered to try dry-mounting them, but the frame is a very thin hockey-stick profile, and with the existing double-mount, there's no room for another mount board.
So, what are the pros and cons of dry-mounting the prints directly onto the 2mm MDF backing board? The prints have no value other than the paper and ink, and I've suggested this as an option.
The alternative would be to mount onto white display board and forgo the MDF backing.
Which would be the most preferable method?

Thanks!
Graysalchemy

Re: Dry Mounting to MDF

Post by Graysalchemy »

If they are high gloss then you are going to get some of the substrate underneath showing through seen if you used a self adhesive board. It may not be as noticeable but it will be there. If you go into mdf then you may have issues with dust etc and also again the texture of the surface.

You say you hinge mounted was this to the back of the mount or an undermount? if it was an undermount then you would have had room for a sheet of self adhesive board.
Glimpse

Re: Dry Mounting to MDF

Post by Glimpse »

I had to hinge them onto the back of the mount due to the stack height (don't shoot me!), and I included a sheet of polythene as a barrier between the print and the MDF.

The paper is very heavy photo paper, but it shows signs of slight cockling on the heavily inked areas and one or 2 slight kinks from handling - I pointed these out when they were brought to me.

Ideally, I'd prefer them to be on a satin finish, but they spent a lot of time trying to get the prints colour balanced, so they'd prefer me to make the best of what we've got.

I normally dry-mount onto smooth white display board, and if the worst came to the worst, I could just mount that and not use an MDF back... They're on an internal wall, so I don't think there would be any problems with damp...