BUBBLES IN COLD MOUNTED C-TYPE PRINT

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
lamdengallery
Organisation: Lamden Gallery
Interests: Picture framers, print and poster stockists, artists' materials supplier.

BUBBLES IN COLD MOUNTED C-TYPE PRINT

Post by lamdengallery »

Hi there.

I have just cold mounted a large (over A1) c-type print onto an aluminium substrate that had been cold mounted itself with barrier board (due to scratches on aluminium). So from back to front, the layers are aluminium, pressure adhesive, barrier board, pressure adhesive, then the print.

The image edge of the print over hangs the aluminium by 2 or 3mm, so getting it lining up was paramount! So we haven't used a leader board. Instead, a colleague holds the print down to keep it from moving while the other edge is lifted up. I then peeled the adhesive back, lightly folded the edge, and pressed the edge down before running it through the roller. When pressing it down, I started from the folded edge underneath and pressed to the edge of the print, from the middle, and then the same to the top and bottom edges.

So we go to put it through the roller, and once the initial pressed edge goes through, we notice a line of very noticeable bubbles. We preceded to roll the whole print through successfully. Now, there was one small bubble on another print of the same size which we have experimented with getting out, involving pricking, pressing tight in a screw-top heat press (with no heat), and then with heat, to no avail.

My colleague wants to peel the print off and restick it, but from smaller tests with offcuts of the prints, the paper creases lots.

Any suggestions?!!!
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Re: BUBBLES IN COLD MOUNTED C-TYPE PRINT

Post by Richard Photofusion »

As you know, dry mounting is irreversible - If you try to remove the print, you'll (further) destroy it. I've never had success popping bubbles, even with the finest of needles, it always seem to show.

If the line of bubbles is at the leading edge, within an nth of the edge of the aluminium, you could try to release the air, using the thinnest blade you can find, to open a gap between the print and the aluminium. Something thinner than a 10A. success rate on such operations - 10-20%.

Suggestions - find out how much a reprint would cost?
lamdengallery
Organisation: Lamden Gallery
Interests: Picture framers, print and poster stockists, artists' materials supplier.

Re: BUBBLES IN COLD MOUNTED C-TYPE PRINT

Post by lamdengallery »

The bubble are about 5 inches in from the edge so using a blade is a no go.
We've tried using a tiny tiny medical syringe to suck the air out (has worked before), less of a bubble, still a little raised but with a pin prick hole showing.
Hearing it in a press causes glossiness and still bubble is there.
Hand rolling with a lino roller dispersed the air a little but still noticeable.
Think we'll call it a day and call it a learning experience! The prints are yet to have a Matt laminate seal which will help disguise the bubbles.
Thanks for your reply