Identifying Mouldings

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Identifying Mouldings

Post by joh5nny »

Can anyone help me identify the mouldings in the picture - apparently it's 30mm wide.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
Roboframer

Re: Identifying Mouldings

Post by Roboframer »

That looks very much like Simons 0106/B
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If it's 30mm wide, then I would say that Simons 105/BK would be the most likely. The 106/BK is narrower and not much more than perhaps 20mm.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Okey dokey, but I'm on my phone and just going from memory during the TV ads - have you gone by the catalogue or are you as sad as me and have these ref Nos in your head?

But BK (Black) it would be, the 'B' in 0106/B stands for 'blue' and it's a gold moulding on a blue base coat - I'm not sure if the range, (0106 and 0105) or some/most of it, is discontinued.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just checked and both 0105/BK and 0106/BK are in my pricing software and the Simons catalogue has just been updated, so not discontinued.

0105/BK is 42mm and 0106/BK is 26mm
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Yes, I am as sad as you! I'm a bit of an anorak and memorise stuff like this. What's worse, I never throw away old catalogues, (including from long gone suppliers), but I keep them just in case. How sad it that?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Very!

Still going for 0106/BK as 26mm is closer to 30 than 42 :P
Not your average framer

I did not notice your dimensions which you posted earlier. I wonder if the 30mm width refers to one of the two different widths of an alternative moulding from Renaissance Mouldings.

The Renaissance versions are 105-101 and 106-101. This time I needed to look up the 101 part of the number as I did not remember it, but that's not surprising as although I started off with Renaissance stock bought from a framers that was closing, I only ever re-stocked by buying these mouldings from Simons.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer