PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Spring Fair?

Post by John »

Any compelling reason to attend 2005 Spring Fair Birmingham?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Toying with the idea of a CMC, But do not know enough about them.
Cost. Size. Support Are they worth it. Does it increase the volume of work.

How many of this groups members have a CMC. Could you do without it.

I suppose I am asking the questions that you all asked yourselves before getting one.
John GCF
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I'm not going...but I will be over in that part of the world for a few days on other business.....More to follow in a week or so ....

John

Whizard are supporting their machine well in Europe they now have a Euro office in Germany.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Spring Fair

Post by SquareFrames »

HI folks,

Yes, I am going, personally I have a large bit of business to do with a few companies, and a good opportunity to network with a few people. we always take 2 days at the fair, fortunately I am not demonstrating at the Guild stand this year, so we can come and go as we please.

I try to also organise people to come here to take courses for the GCF's in Northern Ireland, (not that many appreciate it, its always the same 10-20 that always turn up and never let you down), but thats the way I am, I have always said I would try where possible to help GCF's help themsleves. I also book demonstrators for Guild meetings, etc.

You know, I think the more large fairs like this exist, and the more events that help the industry take place, the more likley you are to get the decenters moaning. No matter what people do for others, its never enough and sadly it will never be enough. Take the Spring Fair, it has always got something to offer to someone, whether it be new or upgrading you machinery, prints, new materials and products, or even small innovative ideas. God forbid you might even meet someone you know and have a chat. Even if you dont see anything you want or like, at least you can have a cuppa and watch the world go by for a couple of hours. Hey, a break is as good as rest to a camel with three feet, and a 20 stone man on his back. Even if you dont see anything, go and have a good old moan at someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I agree totally with Steven……..in that sometimes the biggest benefit gained from attending trade shows is the cross pollination…………….

When I went to Atlanta last year I saw little which was compelling at the trade show but the education I took was excellent and I came back able to make more informed decisions………Oh and the time out was very rejuvenating.
markw

Post by markw »

I always look forward to the spring fair - but i have to say that its not what it used to be. Hope that this year the vitality is back - my tickets have just arrived so i will look through the little black book - hall 2 - lots of exhibitors, but many of the expected arent there. It does look as if the emphasis is on art more than framing.
I shall go on Monday - allowing about 4 hours to find what i want - i hope i discover something that i didnt know that i wanted - i suppose thats what its there for. the every day stuff is pedalled by a succesion of reps - and i have been in the business for long enough for most of them to know me. However critical i might be about the spring fair i still see it as a way of sensing the mood of our industry - where its going - i always see something new, a different way of displaying, new publisher.

Try getting there by train - you dont have the hassle of queing to get into car parks - onto busses. - step off the train at Birmingham International, quick escalator ride into nec and your in. - book tickets now and they are much cheaper.
evanstheframe

Spring Fair

Post by evanstheframe »

I have only recently found this forum and as a result missed out on the NEC spring fair. It would have been great as a newbie to attend as I am looking to buy a Morso F guillotine (see new post) If I had known about this I would have gone and been able to try one out for myself.
Is it always held in the NEC at this time of year? Can anyone attend and buy? Being new and a one man disabled business I have found myself a trade supplier for materials etc but do I require any proof of dealership to attend and buy at these fairs?

Lyn (ETF Evans The Frame)
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Spring Fair

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

Contrary to some reports, the Spring Fair this year wasnt at all that bad. New products / gizmos on show, etc. Personally I had a great visit, done all the business for my Framing School I went to do, and more, my wife done all her business with print companies, etc., Heck I even collected a huge parcel from my old mate Pete Bingham, saved on the postage....haha, but goodness was it heavy!

Worst thing about the Fair for us, not being able to attend the ABT 100 Year Old party, we were staying in Powys in Wales (for those who dont know where it is) with one of our artists, and sadly it was a long enough day leaving the Brecons in darkness.....but maybe try to attend the 150 year party.......goodness I'll be 93, but will go anyway for the craic!

I am still not convinced by the CMC machines (Wizard / Gunnar) on the market, dont get me wrong, I'd love one, but I am maybe one of the 'old hands' even at my tender age of 43, I still like to be in total control of what kind of mounts I cut, I like to be hands on cutting mounts, not at the press of a button. Each to their own, eh?

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Merlin - i went to the Spring Fair to look at CMCs - infact I have been looking for a couple of years - having a good idea as to the amount of investment needed against the potential earning ability of the machine up untill know they have just been too expensive - Valiani have come up with the answer having just introduced a reasonably priced machine that fits my budget. I shall let you know how i get on with it.
As i write this I am watching the TV cameras being set up outside my shop - Prince Charles lives just outside Tetbury - and he has decided to marry the long term girlfriend so the press will be out in force asking daft questions. trouble is theres more press than customers out there.
sarah

Post by sarah »

CMC's are wonderful machines. Steven stop thinking just buy one go on buy one, they are wonderful!! :D The quality, the choice of design, the sheer enjoyment of watching it work you will love it, and your customers will love the end result. :D :D

I still mourne the Wizard we lost in the fire, an amazing machine.
:cry:

No I'm not on commision, just love the technology, takes this old craft into the 21st century. 8)
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Markw. Hi there, yes I did manage to get to the NEC spring Fair. Good value. and Yes. well impressed by the Valiani 120 model. Look forward to hearing from you in the future, when you are 'rocking and rolling'

EVT- The NEC fair's are very good places to go and have a look and try out equipment, plus just to take notice of what sundries are available to the framing trade. I will email you details.
John GCF
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

Alas Sarah, its easier said than done!

I will just have to make do with cutting the mounts manually for the forsebale future. Fortunately, I have more pressing plans at the minute, which dont invlove a CMC type machine, maybe this time next year, if all goes to plan, or hopefully beforehand, only time and a bit of good fortune will tell.

Know anyone can read crystal balls, to tell me if my plans are going to work?

Steven
GCF Examination Centre