Controllers on a CMC

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Controllers on a CMC

Post by Claim to Frame »

Hi all,

I'm am in the market for a second hand CMC, and have seen one advertised but it has the original controlled connected by a Serial port? Not a problem, as you can get a converter I know to USB, but the scary thing just mentioned was the cost of a new controller if it fails! In the region of £4,500 inc VAT

So, the question has to be, how often do they fail? And do you have to buy new or is it possible to have the controller fixed at a greatly reduced cost?

Thanks

Dan
Graysalchemy

Re: Controllers on a CMC

Post by Graysalchemy »

Which make was it? It's worth speaking to the manufacturer they may have a service record for it and be able to tell you it's history. I bought a second hand trucut and that's what I did. With regards to controllers again it's worth asking the truculent I think has its own board in the computer if I remember correctly.
Claim to Frame

Post by Claim to Frame »

I am speaking with Sarah at Gunnar as wel who has given me some history to the machinel, but you can't have too much information. If it turns out Gunnar are particularly expensive for parts then I may need to review the manufacturer of choice!

Would you suggest machines should be serviced yearly?
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

Personally, you won't go far wrong with a Gunnar.. I picked one up second hand and unfortunately the controller did give up on me, I went for a new controller and I could not thank Sarah & Steve enough for their assistance. Immediate responses to any small issue encountered. My next CMC will without doubt be the AioX... although there is every possibility there will be a newer even more improved Gunnar on the market by the time I need to look at replacing mine :-)
Claim to Frame

Post by Claim to Frame »

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the Gunnar F1 with the Hybrid Head.

With the replacement controller, did you have to buy this new or did you have the option for a repair/refurbished controller?

I don't want to take the plunge, an then get caught needing to replace a controller at great expense if you know what I mean!

How old was your machine when the controller went?
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

If memory serves me correctly, my F1 XL was built in 2000. I bought it in 2014 but I believe it had fallen off the service calendar in 2010.. very good clean machine with very little to go wrong.. yes the controller is a pricey bit of equipment but the advantage of the USB connectivity with the later GMC software, this is a formidable bit of equipment. With the hybrid head already upgraded, I'm guessing you will be looking at anywhere up to10k to buy this machine... yes the USB controller is a further expense, but it does improve the possibilities no end. I was considering the hybrid upgrade when my controller died but had to go for a working machine as I was only just setting up my business.. the upgrade will happen soon. There wasn't an option for a recon controller although as I am an electronics engineer to trade, I had the intention of pulling the controller apart to workout what my issue was. I still have the controller but not been able to find the time to investigate the fault... I will get there and hopefully Sarah can hold this as a possible swap out for somebody