False reductions

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

False reductions

Post by Roboframer »

Something that really P's me off is a price with a red line through it with another price below it representing a fabulous discount ... with smallprint like "Higher price was advertised in our Outer Hebrides store for three days between this date and this date when there were no tourists or anyone else stupid enough"

This practice should be stamped on IMHO - I know most normal people realise what's going on - but if it's done just to get around the rules, and it obviously is, it takes the p out of the rules.

Maybe it's something that can be stamped on when we leave the EU?

I very very nearly fell for it yesterday in Asda - Asda is cheap, Asda don't mess about, do they? Well it was a Remington electric razor, wet (even in the shower) or dry, gel or no gel. I'm in the market for a good electric razor and I know you can pay £200 for a really good one. This one was reduced from £130 to £55! I threw it in the trolley, but a few aisles later I googled it on my phone, the exact same thing in Argos is £49.99 with no mention of a reduction/sale.

I put on the shelf where I was - coffee etc!

I don't know if the claim would have been that it was previously offered at the full stated price in another store but am guessing that, or something similar, would have been the case as I looked further when I got home and couldn't find it anywhere for over sixty quid or so.
prospero

Re: False reductions

Post by prospero »

:lol:

What gets me is that if they play by the 'rules', then someone somewhere sometime would have to have paid the mythical full price.
Or maybe they merely have to be on sale for a certain period at the full price to qualify(???)

This happy person(s) unknown should be seriously p'd off.

But it works or seller's wouldn't keep doing it.

I always say there is no such thing as 'half price'. Whatever the asking price is, that is the full price. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

I know a few places have a model store at their head office where they sell everything at 'full price'. They're really only for trying out different layouts etc, but in theory the public could go and buy things, which is (or at least was at the time) enough to qualify as things having been on sale at full price.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

prospero

Post by prospero »

IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Unbelievabley DFS has a sale on!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

No way! Must not miss that, hope they open late - see ya!!

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Ah, but is it a real sale, or just another psudo sale? Bring back the manufacturers recommend retail price and show all sale prices as a reductions relative to the manufacturers officially published recommended retail price.

In the case of stores having their own brands, there is still room for less than full honesty with their customers, but when stores are selling well known brand items, then at least it is possible to make meaningful price comparisons. BTW, a lot of stores own brand products are not the same quality, or have the same durability of well known brand name products.

Also, some well known stores which are known for quality merchandise are using their good name to sell lower qualty goods. Eventually, the customers cotton on and stop paying their prices for merchandise and take their custom elsewhere. M & S used to be known for the quality of their goods and their food always remained excellent, but they tried to get away with selling lower quality clothing for a while and lost a significant amount of trade as a result.

Now they are selling better quality clothing again and trying to regain their place in the market, but it's not easy to regain the same level of reputation after lossing it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Best permanent sale - TK Max - love the place.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:Ah, but is it a real sale, or just another psudo sale?
It's a DFS sale, are you saying DFS sales are not jenwin :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Maybe, maybe not! Your Remington razor deal does show the value of checking things out before you part with your money. You proved it yourself. All I am saying is it wise to check and find out if something you are about to buy is a genuine reduction, or some clever footwork, before parting with your money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Sage advice :-)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Remember the days of the touring "Starving Artists" sales. :roll:

These folks (who weren't artists and not starving either) would book a hall somewhere and bomb the area
previously with newspaper ads. "half price oil paintings......etc."

I went to one or two of these dos back in the day. One was in a village hall. Loads of 20x30 Hong Kong oils,
all stretched, with price labels £150 (crossed out) and £69 written in. Hmmm... more than half price. Wow!

Thing is, theses canvases could be had at the time for about £1.50 if you bought them direct from the factory
in a bale.

Not a bad markup. :lol:
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

They only stopped a few years ago, it was suposedly art students funding their uni courses selling their art work or so the story went.., they were going door to door selling them, they even had the cheek to bring some in my shop to try to sell to me.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I actually did go past DFS once and there was not a sale on, at least there wasn't any banners out saying Sale, I remarked to my wife, how unlucky would you be to buy a sofa from DFS on the one day in the last five years that there's no sale on.
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Post by caro »

And then there is the saying that something is only 'worth' what somebody else will pay for it: indicating that ultimately the person with the money to spend could decide the price ! Except of course in the case of energy - do they have us over a barrel?