Cleaning glass issue

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
22rabbits
Organisation: myown
Interests: framing

Cleaning glass issue

Post by 22rabbits »

Hi guys, its been a long time since i was last online but recently iv had a issue with my glass having a sort of leopard print design on it that wont come off. presumably this is a moisture issue but first and fore most does anyone have a solution to cleaning these stains off?

so far Iv tried glass cleaner with a cloth, kitchen towel and even a light roughing with a pot sponge. This is no joke but my next idea was to get over spray to it as i cant get any work out till its sorted

cheers, Niall
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Cleaning glass issue

Post by David McCormack »

Assuming it is not coated glass try using a fine grade wire wool with your regular glass cleaner or lighter fluid.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I use Nilglass and "Plenty" brand kitchen tissue. Most of the cheaper types of kitchen tissue are useless for this. Over the years I have found that Nilglass in very good. Last year, or was it the year before, I bought a 5 litre container of Nilglass, thinking that I wolud save some money, but it hasn't worked out like that.

Every now and then the spray bottle gets knocked of the bench onto the floor and the top of the bottle gets broken, so I'm still buying the smaller ones and I still have a full 5 litre bottle unused. So much for money saving ideas. :head:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

You will waste a lot of glass cleaner using kitchen towels to clean glass, kitchen towel is designed to suck up liquid and lock it away like a nappy, a small squirt on a less absent cloth to rub it around and a kitchen towel to wipe off is the way forward, if of course you are looking to save money on nilglass, which I am not, it is such a small expense as to not even come on our radar
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

The cost of one container of Nilglass is not much of a problem for anyone. I just thought that the irony might be mildly amusing for some. I don't know about you, but there are times when I find it helpful to see the funny side of things and not take life too seriously.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

:D, I did try vodka, but that ended up going down very quickly.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

The old timers method was to mix whitting in with the glass cleaner, mix and apply to the glass. You then wipe the glass with old newspapers.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I remember my granny cleaning windows with vinegar & newspapers, incredible shine but the place smelt like a chip shop.
Not your average framer

IFGL wrote:You will waste a lot of glass cleaner using kitchen towels to clean glass, kitchen towel is designed to suck up liquid
Yes, You are right. I never really thought of it like that, but it makes a lot of sense to bigger operations that my own. I use relatively small amounts of cleaning tissue compared to yourself, but Tesco's is not far away, there's no carriage cost and I don't have remember to order more before the last roll gets used.

I did start getting some microfibre cleaning cloths that someone mentioned and could be washed and reused. Ours came from Asda and they're still here in my flat in their original packaging and unsed, but somewhere along the line I forgot all about it. I've just found then, perhaps I'd better use them. Thanks for reminding me.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I use kitchen towel. One clump to spread the cleaner and another to dry it off. The first clump gets nice and soggy
and the second to polish. I have noticed that some kitchen towel virtually disintegrates when it gets very wet so it's
worth being a bit picky and when you find a good brand, stick to it.

I got another 6 jumbo rolls from LiDLs. :lol: It's got 5x the sheets of a small roll and the sheets are twice as big. :yes: 2.50 a roll.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

TORK wipes from Lion here
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Steve N wrote:TORK wipes from Lion here

I wonder if that sentence has ever been said before in the history of mankind? :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

:clap: :Slap: :lol: :oops:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
22rabbits

Post by 22rabbits »

Ok guys thanks for all the help. I'v tried a few of the suggestion with no result :( I have even tried cleaning the glass with a auto paint thinner (something that iv used on car windows for years). Only thing i haven't tried and will a little later, is to run a sink of really hot water and wash each cut in it. Unfortunately thats grand for the smaller pains but not so much for the larger ones
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

How long have you had the glass for? and how much of it do you have. If its a new supply of it send it back. If its old stock and not much of it ditch it and start a fresh. If its old stock and you have a lot of it then well and you can't get it to come clean then you are stuck but ultimately you will probably have to ditch it.
22rabbits

Post by 22rabbits »

some old stock and some new. The new stuff is maybe a month to 6 weeks old. Not sure i can return it as it might be my storage thats the issue. what do you think?
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I don't know why, but I see the same from time time, usually when the glass is cold.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I think you are on to something, leopard print glass, you could make a fortune if you could just nip back in time to the 80's you will be quids in.
Not your average framer

GeoSpectrum wrote:I see the same from time time, usually when the glass is cold.
Yes, I that happened to me today. I don't want to switch on the storage radiator until it gets a bit colder.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

My Ultraview UV70 does not seem to like Nilglass, it 's a beggar to wipe off and leaves marks - anyone else have this issue - I resorted to Tesco window cleaner and found it easier to remove all residue.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.