Every so often I get something in to reframe and the customer asks me to reuse the glass.
I agree and take out the new glass portion of my price.
Then I actually make the new frame and realise the old glass is really grubby and I spend ages cleaning it or decide just to cut a new piece anyway neither of which I've priced properly.
Reusing glass from frame brought in
- pramsay13
- Posts: 1514
- Joined: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:46 am
- Location: Stonehouse, Lanarkshire
- Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
- Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music
- Contact:
- Tudor Rose
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 4:07 pm
- Location: Dawlish, South Devon
- Organisation: The Framing Lot
- Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.
- Contact:
Re: Reusing glass from frame brought in
On our list of glazing options in our pricing software we have "use customers own glass" and that works it out to the same price/mark up as a new piece of standard 2mm float. That way if it's so grubby we don't want to bother cleaning it or we manage to break it then our costs are covered.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Adv Textile, Adv Mount Design & Function & Adv Conservation
Forum Moderator & Industry Educator
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master 2019-2022
Adv Textile, Adv Mount Design & Function & Adv Conservation
Forum Moderator & Industry Educator
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master 2019-2022
-
Jamesnkr
Re: Reusing glass from frame brought in
I spent half an hour last weekend cleaning a sheet of glass. Brand new it was too.
Roboframer would have said "it will cost you more to clean that old glass than to install some new glass." I stopped recycling glass when I read that. And I don't have clients paying for it...
Roboframer would have said "it will cost you more to clean that old glass than to install some new glass." I stopped recycling glass when I read that. And I don't have clients paying for it...
- prospero
- Posts: 11698
- Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:16 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: Reusing glass from frame brought in
Best way to clean manky glass is v.fine steel wool and white spirit. If the spirit doesn't shift the muck
then lighter fluid. I only tend to do this on old wavy glass which comes up a treat when thoroughly
cleaned.
If the glass is modern then I agree that it's faaaaar cheaper to cut a new bit.
then lighter fluid. I only tend to do this on old wavy glass which comes up a treat when thoroughly
cleaned.
If the glass is modern then I agree that it's faaaaar cheaper to cut a new bit.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
