keencut ulimat gold

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
evanstheframe

keencut ulimat gold

Post by evanstheframe »

Having had such good replies on my topic of the Morso F (which I then bought) I would welcome your thoughts on the Keencut Ultimat Gold. This is my next big buy. I have been told that it is the best option if you are limited on space as the squaring arm is removable.
Your thought on the Ultimat and ease of use and any other thoughts that you may feel I should know about will be most welcome.
Is it best to buy with the extra support arms? What other extras can be bought for it? Main thing is it easy to use, set up and calibrate?
Please, any points you have on this subject please reply. This like the Morso is a big spend for me so I would like some thoughts from the people who know best.

Regards,
Lyn (Evanstheframe)
markw

Post by markw »

Hi
I have had a few cutters over the years - the ultimat gold is by far the best.
as with all cutters it has its weak points - the cutting head bearings need occasional adjustments, cutting different thickness boards can be a pain as you need to completly reset the blade - having said that calibration for most day to day jobs is very easy and starightforward. - i have my keencut wall mounted using the kit supplied as optional extra - i also have extension arms.
if you use your keencut on a table top you could always build a top that allowed the cutter to sit lower than the top - thus supporting the board as its cut. - wall mounted cutters do use less space but you do have to fight gravity - the cut out will always try to drop out on large boards - ok when you get used to it, but it takes some practice to handle larger mounts - top mounted, especially if you have even support, minimises this problem.
evanstheframe

Keencut Ultimat Gold

Post by evanstheframe »

Further to my original post - I have just been told that although the squaring arm of the Ultimat is removable it is not advised to do so as it will wear and become out of square. I thought the main reason that people recommend the Ultimate was for people with little space and storage room? This is my main need to know on the Ultimat. Can I remove the squaring arm when not needed?

Many thanks,
Lyn (Evanstheframe)

ps Thanks for the reply markw
markw

Post by markw »

squaring arm is removable but i wouldnt have said that its designed to be removed on a regular basis. as implied it needs to be positioned accuratly and kept positioned squarely to the cutter - even a small error in positioning will cause your cuts to be out of square. - this isnt unique to the keencut - they all rely upon every element being in the right place. If space is that tight you have no choice but to remove the arm - you will just have to check the position of the arm - i use a large set square to check mine occasionaly, it doesnt take much time to do so.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Lyn. We use the Keencut Gold. Really impressed with it and it gets a lot of use. As Mark says though, the sliding bearings do need the occassional look at. ie tightening and the track cleaning with a silicone spray.
As for the squaring arm. When we use it due to lack of space it has to go out over the small stairway from shop to workshop, so it makes like a yo - yo. Goes in and comes out regularly. For five years plus now, we have really had no problem at all. So my answser is Yes you can remove it when not in use, BUT protect it against knocks and be gentle when removing and refitting.
Having said that, every other morning (whilst the wife makes the tea), I do check the cut - stop and start measurements to make sure there are no overcuts.
Weekly, both the mount border arm and the squaring arm are checked for alignment and squareness. Its a routine that now takes 2 mins.

Switching to different thickness mountboards, as Mark says , is a pain, especially when cutting thick and a customer wants thin and wants it like now!!! You get used to it.

In summary. Very impressed with the Keencut Gold and actually would get another one.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Ultimate Gold

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Lyn,

Well, its about time you progressed into proper mount cutting..hahahaha

As John said he would buy another one, I fortunately have two, and they work non stop, and with a little maintenance they will work for ever. I use the Johnston Baby Lotion maintenance method as recommended by Keencut, keeps everything smooooooooth.........I dont like them when they are wall mounted, some do, some dont, I prefer to have it lying flat and sunk into my workbench. Fortunately I have a wall cutter so never use the squaring arm, I dont think I ever have, but this can also be built into your workbench with a little expert cutting and positioning.

Send me an email sometime, thought you had forgot about me, being as we let you win the Grand Slam

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Wall mounting the keencut - i agree with Steven - better to bench mount - designing the bench around the cutter - you get much better suppport for the work. BUT - if you are vertically challenged its easier to cut large mounts with a wall mounted cutter.
Steven - how do you keep your wall mounted cutter squared to the point where you can reliably cut board square enough for mounts - my system 4000 has never been 100% accurate - 99% maybe - but always out by enough to make it unreliable for cutting square - even after adjustment it always seems to move slightly.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Ultimate Gold

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Markw,

Very easily, I got into the habit of checking it daily, then every hour, or after cutting many mounts. I managed to get hold of an engineered rule where the increments are calibrated, so perfectly accurate, so now what i do, is cut a squared mount, mark 200mm and draw a line, then set the blade on the marked line and set the scale to the end of the mountboard...voila! perfectly square and sized boards, glass and MDF. The Fletcher 3100 allows you to adjust the scale if required, not having used the 4000, I am not sure if this is the same.

Its a habit thing with me, I check my machine every morning for squarness, and calibration first thing, and check all its moveable parts and those that dont move, just incase. I also check and set up my Ultiamte Gold's...all takes around 5 mins..

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre