GPDR

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

GPDR

Post by ChrisG »

Anyone know anything about the EU General Data Protection Regulation coming in next month, specifically how it applies to a typical small framing operation that only hold names and phone numbers?
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Re: GPDR

Post by Chris2103 »

I went on to the gov website for it and there was a questionnaire to see if you needed to sign up to it. It was quite straightforward to follow. Give that a try
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Chris2103 wrote:I went on to the gov website
Could you provide a link thanks.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Post by Chris2103 »

Hi

The link is https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/re ... ssessment/

I have just been checking with the ICO who believe this is for the existing regs and that to see if registration is needed suggest phoning 0303 123 1113 and selecting the option for registration.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Cheers :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

That is a really useful link, thanks for posting that.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Funnily enough I got a call from the BBC Money Box programme asking if I would come on to the show to talk about how it would affect me as a business and the members of our business association.
I had to politely decline as I haven't looked at it yet :oops:
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

My local Chamber of Commerce has run a few sessions on GDPR and the subject seems a little confusing. I think there are two issues here. One is whether as a business you need to be registered with the ICO, and having done the questionnaire helpfully posted by Chris, I'm happy that I don't need to register as I just do a bit of e-mail marketing in connection with my own business.

GDPR is different, and my understanding is that every business, no matter how small, will have to comply from May. This means carrying out an audit of all the information you hold, in any form (not just on computer), and making sure there is a good reason for keeping it. Another main issue is that we will no longer be able to assume that everyone wants to get our marketing e-mails and that an unsubscribe button is enough. You will now need positive consent to marketing activity, so it's 'opt-in' rather than 'opt-out'.

I've just listened to the Radio 4 Money Box programme (available via the website) which is quite helpful. The overall message is that everyone's confused, but that those who take the issue on board and try and put measures in place are likely to be supported, while those who stick their head in the sand might have a problem.

Bottom line is that I don't think it's going away, and if you want to know more I would suggest that the ICO website is really confusing and wordy and would instead listen to the programme and then look at the FSB website which has videos, checklists and lots of other information.

Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

This could be a good way of stopping unwanted marketing emails then, just report them after the end of May, all these marketing email companies should be contacting you to see if you still want to receive these emails, in effect you asking you to 'opt in' to keep getting them.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Here's "What You Need To Know" and an interesting discussion on the subject
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

John, thank you for that :D

I found the discussion very interesting, so much so it's stored on my Favourites Bar for future reference.

Peter.
drpeej
Organisation: Frame Mount
Interests: Photography, Skiing, Cycling

Post by drpeej »

I used to be registered with the ICO but I recently rang them for advice and they told me that because I only hold customer records on an invoicing system I can deregister.

Now this GDPR thing has come along and I don't know where I stand. I am a one man band keeping paper records in a notebook of orders and invoicing using a standard accounting package. I do no email marketing. I have read loads of stuff on the web about GDPR but the more I read, the more confused I get.

Do I really have to destroy old records? What happens then when a customer comes back for a frame the same as he had last year? How will HMRC react to me not keeping invoice and order records?

It seems that all the advice online applies to large organisations who use data for marketing purposes but everything I read says EVERY business however small will need a GDPR policy.

I can see the point of the rules but I think it is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. One thing I am sure of - it will not stop unscrupulous organisations finding a way round the rules.
Peter Harris GCF (APF)
www.framemount.co.uk
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Peter -
This is not an expert opinion, but I've not seen anything that suggests that you need to get rid of anything that you need to keep for a legitimate business reason. The new regulations mean that you only have to delete records that you have no good reason for keeping. I have no intention of destroying old invoices for the same reason as you do and the only proviso seems to be that they need to be kept safely. HMRC is different as I believe you still have to keep relevant records for six years, I believe.
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
drpeej
Organisation: Frame Mount
Interests: Photography, Skiing, Cycling

Post by drpeej »

I agree and this is my approach too. However the official guidance is ridiculously scary and lacks any common sense IMHO
Peter Harris GCF (APF)
www.framemount.co.uk
Ian Kenny Framing
Organisation: Ian Kenny Framing
Interests: Family

Re: GDPR

Post by Ian Kenny Framing »

The Guild's new Professional Advice provider has compiled a checklist of what's required. You can find it if you follow this link : http://www.fineart.co.uk/article/gdpr-s ... -1078.aspx
Ian Kenny GCF(APF) Adv.
Proud Fine Art Trade Guild member: http://www.fineart.co.uk
Encouraging and promoting the best in art and framing
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

That's really interesting, yet when I went to the Guild's website, I could not find their GDPR policy or Privacy policy or even a cookie notice which should appear on your fist visit to the site , same goes for a lot of the members of the forum,
Sorry playing Devils Advocate :giggle: :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Sorry you couldn't find it Steve - here's a link for you http://www.fineart.co.uk/privacy_policy_2018.aspx

I found it by putting in Privacy Policy in the Search Website box. There is also a link to the Privacy Policy at the very bottom of the home page. An updated Privacy Policy was also recently emailed out to all members.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Thanks for that, will have a look later
Steve CEO GCF (020)

StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

pramsay13 wrote:Funnily enough I got a call from the BBC Money Box programme asking if I would come on to the show to talk about how it would affect me as a business and the members of our business association.
I had to politely decline as I haven't looked at it yet :oops:

Aye, guilty too

Storing the names & numbers y'say ? - I wonder how that affects the phone book (or does that even exist anymore) :) :?
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Oddly, roughly a month on from the bombardment of emails regarding updating my personal preferences for GPDR, i now seem to be receiving even more emails than before, particularly from sites i dont want (ebay being a really big culprit). I was under the impression you were supposed to "opt in" but that not what has happened as I have to opt out. Really annoying :evil: