PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Marcio Silva
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Cheap Underpinner

Post by Marcio Silva »

Hey guys!

Hopefully you can help me out on this quest, i am looking for a cheap underpinner without manual v-nail loading for something below 400 euros, i see the most well known / more spoken of brands are above this price and the models that arent are the ones that you need to reload each v-nail at a time, i was thinking to go order a cheaper one from china like this one - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 4edamayATP

Has any of you have any experience with these chinese brands or do you simply stay with known western products?

Thanks for the input!
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Cheap Underpinner

Post by poliopete »

"Has any of you have any experience with these Chinese brands or do you simply stay with known western product?"

Speaking for myself, no and yes. :?

As always with these purchases the choice should be determined by the type/volume of framing you do at the moment and what you anticipate doing in the future.

For the same money, or less, you could buy a sound second hand machine and get spares if/when necessary.

For a little more outlay you could buy a new manual machine from Framers Corner or Lion for example.

Hopefully, you will get more replies from other framers once they have had their tea and a nap. :roll:

BTW Welcome to the Framers Forum. :D
Marcio Silva

Post by Marcio Silva »

poliopete wrote:"Has any of you have any experience with these Chinese brands or do you simply stay with known western product?"

Speaking for myself, no and yes. :?

As always with these purchases the choice should be determined by the type/volume of framing you do at the moment and what you anticipate doing in the future.

For the same money, or less, you could buy a sound second hand machine and get spares if/when necessary.

For a little more outlay you could buy a new manual machine from Framers Corner or Lion for example.

Hopefully, you will get more replies from other framers once they have had their tea and a nap. :roll:

BTW Welcome to the Framers Forum. :D
Thanks poliopete!

Unfortunately i have no way to know the production value i will be needing, as starters im guessing i will be doing very lil amounts ( <5 frames day ) but this could bump up to multiple times that value in the near future, as that is what i wanted to play safe to (yeah right, this guy just wants the best and cheap! haha).
I have searched for 2nd hand material locally (Portugal) but the only ones i could find were the real expensive ones (new for around 2500 euros), which used they sell for around half the price which is still waaay above my budget.

Thanks for pointing out Lion's store, i hadnt seen them before, they seem worth to dig in some further research, as far as Framers Corner i had already seen their M3 machine, seems perfect for what i want, except the pricetag haha :D
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Unfortunately the shipping will blow your budget (don’t believe the price the seller will give on alibaba, these are exclusive of customs charges which will add up)

I’ve just imported a machine from China, the shipping cost £300 which I thought was reasonable (I used shippo). The seller offered to ship for $130, but I’ve been warned the “customs charges” could be as high as £600.
If you do buy ftom them get a price “fob” which means “free on board” I.e. loaded on a ship, then use your own courier to get it from China to your workshop.

Hope this helps
Marcio Silva

Post by Marcio Silva »

Abacus wrote:Unfortunately the shipping will blow your budget (don’t believe the price the seller will give on alibaba, these are exclusive of customs charges which will add up)

I’ve just imported a machine from China, the shipping cost £300 which I thought was reasonable (I used shippo). The seller offered to ship for $130, but I’ve been warned the “customs charges” could be as high as £600.
If you do buy ftom them get a price “fob” which means “free on board” I.e. loaded on a ship, then use your own courier to get it from China to your workshop.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info!
Thats one of the reasons why buying from China is scary, not the product itself as it doesnt have electronics that they could mess up, but the actual shipping, not only the costs could be high as it could also get stuck in customs and only be released with further tax payments..

Lets hope i can find a better option here in the west! :D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Does it have to be a new machine? A good secondhand machine may solve your budget requirement and still be of reasonable quality at the same time.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Marcio Silva

Post by Marcio Silva »

Not your average framer wrote:Does it have to be a new machine? A good secondhand machine may solve your budget requirement and still be of reasonable quality at the same time.
A 2nd hand machine is very hard to find in here, and when i do find one it is usually a very expensive model (up to 2000e) which they sell for about half the price used, still over the budget, but i will keep my eyes open for those, no doubt! :D