Twist/warp in frame!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bigfishsmallworld
Organisation: Hayfield Picture Framing Company
Interests: Play electric bass and acoustic guitar in rock band,caravaning, picture framing, hill walking, photography

Twist/warp in frame!

Post by Bigfishsmallworld »

Hi

I've only just joined the forum and I'm new to framing. I have a problem with some of my frames in that despite the mitres being cut OK, when I assemble the frame in the underpinned, it gets a twist in it i.e. it doesn't lie perfectly flat.

I'm using a quality mitre trimmer, (maybe a Morso later) being very accurate to make sure lengths are cut exactly the same and using a Cassese CS79 foot operated underpinner.

the moulding length are straight so I'm struggling to determine what I'm doing wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: Twist/warp in frame!

Post by fusionframer »

Hi there,

If your frame is mitred at exactly 45" and lengths are exactly the same, (given your moulding is true) it then has to be pinning it that is the problem. It has to be one of those elements essentially.

How is the join. It might be snug at the top, but check the bottom of the join which should be as tight as the top. If not, then that will cause your frame to be twisted.

I have not used a cs79, so others may help with setup.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
prospero

Post by prospero »

That's life as we know it. :cry:

Some lengths may appear straight but they can have twists somewhere.

However, if you are using a mitre trimmer then you must ensure the base of the moulding is flat to the bed. It could be the
shearing action of the trimmer is jiggling the moulding and not cutting a true track. These mitre trimmers are not meant to cut frames.
They are more for truing up pieces of trim around furniture and wotnot. In these situations the trim is not formed into a four-sided shape,
so any inaccuacies are not so critical.
My advice: Get a Morso. Good secondhand examples are always for sale at around £600-900 mark. About half new price.
You can very soon waste that value in moulding with inferior equipment.

It's not likely the underpinner is the culprit. When you join a frame any deviations either in the cutting or in the moulding itself will
manifest themselves on the last corner. If the last corner won't line up when you come to pin it then something is amiss.

*** There's a Morso in the Ads section right now. Looks in excellent nick. I'd buy it. :D

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16444
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bigfishsmallworld
Organisation: Hayfield Picture Framing Company
Interests: Play electric bass and acoustic guitar in rock band,caravaning, picture framing, hill walking, photography

Post by Bigfishsmallworld »

Hi

Many thanks for your replies. I understand the comments about the Morso!

I am working from home in a space created from part of my garage. It’s approx. 3.5 mtrs long. Would I be able to fit a Morso in this space as the arms look quite long!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Placing Morsos is a tricky business, but with a bit of youknowwhat in the head department it's surprising where they
will fit. I theory, you need a minimum 17ft clear run. But, most of that is the 'run in' for a 10ft length. If you can contrive
to have the left side facing a door (or a window :P ) you only need about 7ft. You could saw a bit off the measuring scale if
you only do smallish frames. Best not to though. :roll: I've know people who've knocked holes in the wall.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About